Sr. Director, Data Engineering
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Director, Data Engineering
The Senior Director - Data Engineering will be a highly visible and impactful position leading in some of Capital One's most exciting and innovative areas of technology strategy. This is an exciting opportunity to truly be on the bleeding edge of technology and build a strong technical program management and agile rhythm to deliver against the vision. In this role, you will really get to do Big Data for a company founded on a data driven philosophy. The ideal candidate will be responsible for meeting the dynamic data needs of Capital One's businesses while partnering with engineering leaders in the Big Data teams across the lines of business to enable data-driven customer experiences. Utilizing a team of technical program managers, agile scrum masters, compliance engineers, and other key contributors, this leader will impact every Capital One employee and customer every day. This is an exciting opportunity with broad strategic influence and technical complexity driving a major transformation.
- Drive alignment across multiple functional groups (both business and technical) within Capital One on a common delivery infrastructure/architecture.
- Ensure data compliance and service excellence is built into our products.
- Provide cross-functional testing capability to ensure that integration between products and APIs happens seamlessly.
- Partner closely with Technology Operations team to migrate from an on premise implementation to a cloud based implementation.
- Build effective partnerships with Technology Operations and Streaming Engineering, Machine Learning Engineering, and Data Quality Engineering as well as Security and Risk Management to ensure cloud platforms are well managed and secure.
- Provide superior delivery management and accountability, leading delivery teams across multiple release frames, leveraging an agile framework.
- Create a customer focused culture providing excellence in delivery and operations.
- Ensure the organization meets budget commitments and is well managed.
- Continue to recruit and develop top engineering data talent
The Senior Director will be a program management leader and a creative technologist who has experience leading complex cross-functional programs and projects at large scale. This person should have palpable intellectual curiosity and tenacious focus on the voice of the customer.
The ideal candidate will need to leverage both deep technology fluency and substantial leadership abilities to drive related technology strategy. Through execution of his or her responsibilities, the Senior Director will be responsible for making recommendations and influencing senior leadership on how to resource and utilize the related teams and resources.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned technology professional with a passion for innovation and a track record of transformation. He/she will consider it a personal goal to stay current on industry trends and leading technologies and have a burning desire to bring about disruptive change. He/she will also have a proven ability to operate effectively in a complex, and evolving environment. He or she will have a demonstrated ability to develop a vision, drive and manage the execution of that vision, and deliver top-tier results. The successful candidate will exhibit excellent leadership skills to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates, and should possess the confidence and poise to influence the executive leadership team and various internal stakeholders. Strong business judgment, strategic orientation and communication skills are essential. Similarly, important are attention to detail, good team dynamics, and an ability to work independently are needed.
Specific candidate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Exceptional leadership skills, marked by poise, positive influence, and the ability to drive change
- A consultative management style that is collaborative, energetic, results-oriented, and innovative
- Strategic orientation - ability to define roadmaps in an incremental way to support business goals
- Demonstrated ability to employ judgment and experience to make rapid and complex decisions with broad impact
- Ability to successfully lead teams in an agile, entrepreneurial environment
- Results orientation - ability to transform complex and complicated ideas into actionable steps and track related progress among many stakeholders
- Highly developed interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
- Relationship building - able to quickly and autonomously build strong relationships across a broad group of stakeholders
- Effective at technical vendor management
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 15 years of leadership experience in software engineering roles
- At least 10 years of leadership experience in delivering technology projects
- Master's degree or MBA
- Experience leading agile or other rapid development methodologies or other rapid development methodologies
- Experience with leading edge technologies
- Experience with resiliency and System architecture
- Experience with building Cloud Computing platforms
- Financial Services or service industry technology experience
- Experience leading the creation of a data lake
- Deep knowledge of Agile principles and ability to apply and implement agile with a team of technical scrum masters
- Ability to define and meet compliance requirements such as SOX, PCI, etc.
- Understanding of cloud infrastructure and ability to define and meet requirements for running a sound cloud computing environment
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Jyotisana manages five teams who simultaneously work on internal and external technology projects in areas from communication to customer service.
Back to top