Sr. Director, Accounting Policy
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Director, Accounting Policy
Sr. Director, Accounting Policy - Mergers & Acquisitions and Line of Business Support
The Capital One Accounting Policy group acts as advocates and advisors in accounting topics for the Company. The group, based in Mclean, VA, supports the entire enterprise by providing exceptional partnership, advice, customer service and guidance in all accounting topics.
Lead a team of subject matter experts on mergers and acquisitions, new initiatives in Lines of Business and potential other accounting topics germane to the financial services industry.
Areas of focus may include any of the following:
- Leadership in due diligence efforts
- Loan accounting, including impairment and allowance-related matters
- Business combinations, specifically acquired loans, goodwill and other intangibles
- Consolidation-related issues across a broad array of entities
- Fair value
- Research, interpret, and apply authoritative accounting guidance to unique situations in the above areas of focus
- Partnership with finance and business stakeholders across the organization to provide guidance and consultation on technical accounting issues
- Technical support for reporting and disclosures
- Develop, implement, and maintain accounting policies in accordance with GAAP
- Monitor developments in GAAP and assist in the initial adoption of new guidance
- Communicate complex topics clearly to diverse internal audiences
- Manage a team of 4-5 subject matter experts
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or other military experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- At least 12 years of accounting experience
- At least 5 years of public accounting experience or at least 5 years of technical accounting experience
- At least 3 years of Accounting Policy experience
- At least 3 years of Mergers and Acquisitions experience
- Experience with either a large, public financial services company in Accounting Policy or in a technical accounting role within a large public accounting firm
- Aptitude for leading teams; influencing and galvanizing others to follow you toward a solution
- A demonstrated history of solving multiple and complex operational and accounting challenges
- Experience interacting with standard-setting organizations (FASB, EITF, OCC, SEC, IASB, etc.)
- Organizational skills along with an aptitude for information technology
- Strong interpersonal written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Ability to work in a complex environment with diverse personality types
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top