Sr. Design Director - Credit Wellness
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Design Director - Credit Wellness
Credit can seem like a complicated and impenetrable system. At Capital One, we believe everyone should have the opportunity to understand and build their credit, have access to great financial products, and gain the practice and confidence to save and spend wisely.
We're looking for a Senior Director to lead our Credit Wellness team. You will work in close partnership with executive leaders from the business, engineering, operations, and brand. You will lead (and continue to build) a high-performing and innovative team of designers and inspire the team to envision, design, and deliver game-changing experiences in service of people who need some extra help. You'll also re-imagine the service design and software experience for our 10,000 Customer Service Agents worldwide. And you'll work side by side with some of the most exciting design leaders from the industry who bring inspiration, passion, critique, and camaraderie, and are committed to changing banking for good.
About this incredible company...
Capital One Financial Corporation (NYSE: COF) is a new breed of financial services provider and Fortune 500 company (#127). With more than 65 million customer accounts, our company has grown explosively since our IPO in 1994 and emerged with the two things most growing companies can only dream to achieve: one of the Americas' largest consumer franchises with one of the most recognized brands in the United States. We're one of Fortune Magazine's 100 Best Companies to Work For and a leader in work-life balance and inclusion. We've also become an acknowledged leader in innovation: we were the first bank to build skills for Amazon Echo, our iPhone and Android apps are consistently rated 4+ stars, and our Apple Pay introduction was praised by Tech Crunch as "surprisingly well designed." (Soon it won't even be surprising!)
Capital One has grown into a $40B+ public corporation, known for world-class analytics and strategy, and fueled by a brave internal culture. We were born as the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we've been adding businesses and innovating relentlessly ever since. We come to work every day looking to create experiences that are bold, impactful, and authentic. Today we are a high-tech company, a scientific laboratory, and a well-funded force focused on designing a better way for people to engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It's audacious work at a massive scale and, it's incredibly rewarding.
What you'll do every day...
- Bring bold vision to the Capital One Design leadership team and the U.S. Card business
- Partner with executives and leaders across the organization to create cohesive and impactful experiences that deliver for the business and for customers
- Oversee a portfolio of products and services that serve unique customer needs while fitting into a greater experience ecosystem
- Inspire and mentor designers to stretch and grow their craft, and champion human-centered design across skill sets, teams, and perspectives
- Recruit top talent, build out a best-in-class team, and invest in their continued success
- Drive innovation not only in customer-facing experiences, but in practices and processes that bring about world class solutions
Who we're looking for...
- Demonstrated design leadership of a cross-skilled team within a large scale, high tech company
- A track record of envisioning, designing, and delivering successful and respected products and services
- The ability to strategically influence senior leadership as a champion of human-centered design
- A great listener and a crisp communicator, with strong business judgment and analytical skills
- The ability to thrive within ambiguity, assess and synthesize complexity, and still find the north star that brings clarity and drives forward momentum
- An exceptional eye for detail and deep hands-on expertise in one or more design specialties
- The desire to collaborate, learn, and continue to evolve the team
- Humility, judgement, and enthusiasm that creates great results AND a great culture
- Ability to connect analytical data with practical solutions in a real world environment
- Passion and commitment to change the world
- Experience in financial services is not required, but experience navigating a complex and highly regulated ecosystem will be
- Previous experience as a VP or Senior Director of Design
- At least 10 years in a design leadership role
- Master's Degree in Design or MBA
- 5+ years experience with a large-scale consumer internet company
- 2+ years in start-up environment
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top