Sr. Cloud Engineer
West Creek 1 (12071), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Cloud Engineer
We are seeking highly creative and intellectually curious Cloud Engineers, at all levels, who are passionate about cutting-edge distributed computing. As part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption on a whole new scale, you will play an integral part in advancing Capital One's Cloud eco-system and culture of technical excellence. You will make a key contribution supporting end-to-end public Cloud Automation of application delivery, including Infrastructure provisioning and integration with Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD) platforms, using existing and emerging technologies. The ideal candidate will have experience moving infrastructure to the Cloud!
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Ability to plan and lead the deployment of a cloud stack in a production environment
- Develop scripts and glue code to integrate multiple software components
- Automate the provisioning of environments like Kubernetes and ECS using tools like Jenkins, Ansible, Chef or Terraform.
- Using Docker and Rkt containers for local and cloud-based development.
- Design and develop automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assessing the overall quality of delivered components
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering team, solving complex business problems together
- Evaluate & build different compute frameworks for all tiers
We're looking for self-starters, those who can work independently, as well as collaborate across teams. If you enjoy establishing smooth running environments and maintaining strong team synergy, you may find this role is just for you!
- Serious geek with street cred? We'd be delighted to view your portfolio on GitHub and/or Open Source contributions if your open to share!
- Discerning. Do you have a strong familiarity with any of the following: Amazon, VMWare, KVM, OpenStack, RightScale or various Cloud abstraction layers? If so, lets talk! We'd like to know your view on importance of selecting the right technology tool for a task
- Insatiably Curious. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut. Trust us, we understand.
- Automator. You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to script and automate anything and everything, from tests to environment provisioning
- At least 2 years of experience of enterprise Linux based system administration
- At least 1 year of CI/CD and monitoring experience
- At least 2 years of experience working build and deployment automation through Jenkins
- At least 1 year of experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services) provisioning and monitoring.
- At least 1 years of experience with Infrastructure automation using Chef or Ansible
- 2+ years of production environment monitoring and alerting using tools like Zabbix, Splunk, ELK, TICK.
- 2+ years of experience with current licensing strategies around Open Source (Apache Foundation, GNU, MIT License)
- 1+ year of experience with Java programming
- 3+ years of experience with Artifactory or Nexus
At this time Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top