Software Engineering Manger
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Engineering Manger
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, small business and commercial clients. Ranked #127 on the Fortune 500, Capital One is one of the nation's top 10 banks and has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
As a Lead Software Engineer at Capital One, you'll perform as a technical leader alongside agile teams ensuring clear architectural/solution direction, options and technical consultancy are provided to the team. You will be equally as comfortable building a POC of a new solution as 'picking up the pen' and sketching an idea on a white board to an agile team. The role will focus on identifying and enabling the adoption of new technologies and patterns particularly in Public Cloud, API and micro-service technologies.
- Strategic Thinking: Work directly with business & technical leadership to define technical strategy that aligns with our business direction. Partner with others to sketch out solutions, provide context on approaches, and collaborate on direction. This may include vendor evaluations as well as technology (tools, applications, language) evaluation.
- Operational Management: Maintain a portfolio of architectural views that reflect our current and target state architecture. Coordinate with engineering and infrastructure teams on maintenance and overall management.
- Technical Leadership: Work hand-in-hand with engineering teams to build proof of concepts, test prototypes, and design great technology solutions. It is expected that you will roll up your sleeves to configure, administer, and code where necessary. Expect to be coding roughly 20% of the time. You will have a strong understanding of technology design patterns and approaches including Reactive Manifesto, Responsive Web, micro-services concepts, Continuous Integration, Cloud, and Mobile development. You will have a propensity and desire to research new technologies, understand them, distill down the differences and explain the implications to multiple parties.
- Communication: You will build and deliver presentations to multiple different levels in the organization (engineering teams, technical & business leadership).
- At least 8 years of experience in the technology industry
- At least 3 years of experience working in technical leadership, architecture, or engineering management roles.
- At least 1 year of experience in Java
- At least 1 year of experience in Agile development & delivery
- 5+ years of experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment tools
- 5+ years of experience with test automation tools and building infrastructure as a service
- 3+ years of experience with cloud-computing platforms
- 3+ years of experience with front end Java scripts
- 3+ years of experience with databases in the cloud
- 3+ years of experience with spring framework for API
- 1+ years of experience using GitHub
- 1+ years of experience in service architecture
- 1+ years of experience in REST API development
- 1+ years of experience in AWS stack
- 1+ years of experience in relational and no-SQL databases
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top