Software Engineering Manager - Data Transformation
Nottingham Trent House (95002), United Kingdom, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Engineering Manager - Data Transformation
Data is fundamental to how Capital One operates, and it is vital that the data we have is available to those who need it quickly, clearly and without barriers. By allowing our data scientists and analysts to quickly review, analyse and dive into the data we collect - as we collect it - we allow them to provide a high quality service to our customers and excellent tools and experiences to everyone within Capital One.
You'll have the responsibility of leading the Data Engineering associates creating these services and pipelines. By working with external Product Owners, Data Scientists, development teams plus a host of other interested partners, you will define the process in which Capital One uses and processes the data they have access to.
You will also be working with our partners in the US to use, contribute to and influence services at an Enterprise level.
The key requirement is a leader who is comfortable working with a diverse range of people with different requirements and skillsets, while driving the engineering team to craft tools that not only meet those requirements but do so in a way that provides a clear industry advantage for Capital One.
Specific Responsibilities and Experience
We're looking for talented individuals, and the skills below are only a guide to what we're looking for. If you don't meet all the requirements and think this role is for you, we'd really like to hear from you.
- Lead the developers focused on the creation of data transformation and availability services
- Maintain and develop effective relationships through regular one-on-ones and short & long term personal and development programs
- Ensure software quality and system scalability using code reviews, technology deep dives and regular training and development
- Work with the on-team Quality Engineers to build automation and test processes across all projects
- Support the recruitment program within the Data Tribe across multiple teams
- Identify architectural and technology issues within the group to determine effective solutions
- Advise Senior Management and other interested partners on feature development, performance, and scalability of the current work in progress
- Build consensus while working with associates to quickly resolve issues and technology questions
- Develop effective relationships with associates the US to utilise and influence Enterprise services
- Keep up with Data and Transformation trends and communicate opportunities, solutions and issues from a technology perspective to the Data Tribe group as a whole
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience of leading a diverse group of developers with a range of skills and abilities
- Recent experience of working within data ecosystems using tools like EMR, Hadoop and Spark
- Experience of various database technologies such as SQL, NoSQL and related query languages
- A deep understanding of various data formats such as Parquet and Avro and their potential benefits
- Working knowledge of the use, direction and standard methodologies around modern source control and code review tools within a peer review focused environment
- Deeply self-motivated with a hands-on approach to development and management
- Working knowledge of AWS architecture and related services
- Knowledge of automated test practices within a development environment
- Background of working with data scientists, stewards, analysts and architects
- Experience of working within an Enterprise environment
About Capital One
Changing banking for good is not an idle statement, it's our core vision and applies to everything we do. For us, it's a no brainer. A happy customer is a loyal customer. By bringing innovation, simplicity, and, most importantly, humanity to the financial services industry we will succeed in delivering this mission. We are transforming ourselves into a FinTech company.
Capital One has been voted the Best Workplace for the last 3 years and we're also recognised for our work in treating customers fairly. We have two development centres; Nottingham and London and in these we are delivering the next big things that will help our customers succeed.
We'd like you to be part of it.
Your influence will extend far beyond the immediate team. Working with product owners and designers, the innovative and creative side to your personality will shine through. Ever the problem-solver, your data-driven approach to solution design makes you the strongest advocate of our customers.
We offer a very competitive rewards package, a great pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance. You can look forward to a host of other benefits including cycle to work and season ticket loans.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Back to top