Software Engineering Manager - Backend
Locations: VA - McLean, United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Engineering Manager - Backend
More than 30 million users rely on us to help them understand, improve, and protect their credit. That's why we're here - a bold team of digital entrepreneurs, designers, analysts and engineers, working to make a difference in people's lives. Hey, maybe you should be here, too.
With over 10 million monthly active users across our Web, Android, and iOS apps, CreditWise is a fantastic place to lead, work, and grow. You'll manage a team of motivated, passionate backend engineers building awesome features using the latest technologies.
Keep reading if:
- You love leading engineers to do the best work of their lives
- You're driven to build intuitive experiences that start with the user
- You embrace change and innovation, always seeking to push the boundaries
- You are motivated by a drive to help users improve their financial well-being
What you'll do:
- Lead complex application programming activities using the latest technologies
- Deliver to production amazing features and architectures that are scalable, available, and secure
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Designers, and Developers to find the best solution possible
- Manage the careers of engineers on your team and ensure their continued growth and development
- Inspire junior engineers to push the boundaries of technology alongside you
What we're looking for:
- A leader who cares personally about your team. You build diverse, inclusive teams and treat everyone with respect and empathy while guiding them to do the best work of their lives.
- Amazing technical instincts. You know how to evaluate and choose the right technology and approach for the job. You have stories you could share about what problem you thought you were solving at first, but through testing and iteration, came to solve a much bigger and better problem that resulted in positive outcomes all around.
- A love for learning. Technology is continually evolving around us, and you want to keep up to date to ensure we are using the right tech at the right time.
- A love for working in ambiguity - and making sense of it. You can take in a lot of disparate information and find common themes, recommend clear paths forward and iterate along the way. You don't form an opinion and sell it as if it's gospel; this is all about being flexible, agile, dependable, and responsive in the face of many moving parts.
- Confidence, not ego. You have an ability to collaborate with others and see all sides to come to the best solution for everyone.
- You've shipped outstanding websites/apps from concept to launch; you've got examples you can share right now.
- You have programming experience in multiple programming languages and can't wait to learn more.
- You have experience building and deploying in the Cloud.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 4 years of experience leading and developing technical teams
- At least 3 years of experience recruiting and managing people
- At least 4 years of experience developing and delivering backend applications using Java
- 6+ years leading and developing technical teams
- 2+ years of experience with AWS
- 2+ years of experience with Spring framework
- 2+ years of experience with Microservices
- 2+ years of experience with Agile development methodologies including Scrum or Kanban
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top