Software Engineer, Full Stack
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Engineer, Full Stack
As a Capital One Full Stack Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems, to data pipelines for streaming data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Java, Big Data, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, and NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra.
What you'll do:
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and create ATDD based testing scenarios
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to lead design discussions, buy-in from the stakeholders and then socialize it to the upper management to get their approval.
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities.
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork and self-managed.
- Mentor and develop junior software developers to perform at the next level.
- Bachelors Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years experience in software development
- At least 5 years experience specifically in Java applications using Open Source Frameworks
- Master's Degree in Computer Science
- 3+ years in Agile practices
- 3+ years of experience in Big Data and Spark
- 1+ years of experience in AngularJS
- 2+ years of experience with NoSQL Databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra
- 1+ years of experience with Terraform
- 1+ years of experience with Chef
- 1+ years of experience using Cloud based platforms such as AWS
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top