Software Engineer, DevOps
Plano 7 (31067), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Engineer, DevOps
As a Capital One Software Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: node.js, Java, AngularJS, React, Python, REST, JSON, XML, Ruby, HTML / HTML5, CSS, NoSQL databases, relational databases, Hadoop, Chef, Maven, iOS, Android, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
What you'll do:
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Code Chef recipes/cookbooks in an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Cloud environment
- Code frameworks/APIs on AWS using Java/python/Go lang/Ruby/PHP SDKs
- Program data ingestion/processing in any of the scripting languages
- Deliver AWS based infrastructure solutions using AWS Cloud Formation (JSON) and Chef (Ruby) for configuration management
- Migrate on premise applications to AWS
- Create models/diagrams/views to facilitate infrastructure as a service (IaaS), Software as a service(SaaS) and Platform as a Service(PaaS) solutions
- Responsible for the day to day operations of Capital One's AWS production and pre-production infrastructure (ensuring system availability, performance, capacity, and continuity through proper response to incidents, events and problems)
- Develop procedures to automate various systems and tasks (e.g. automating code builds and deployments)
- Execute system administration of hosting platforms capable of running on a variety of frameworks (java, node.js, ruby, php, python)
- Assist in code promotion process to production environments
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 3 years of experience providing enterprise Linux based system administration
- At least 2 years of experience with GIT or at least 2 years of experience with SVN or at least 1 year of experience with Jenkins Hudson
- At least 1 year of experience with Maven or at least 1 year of experience with Sonar or at least 1 year of experience with U Deploy
- At least 2 years of experience with Shell or at least 1 year of experience with Ruby or at least one year of experience with Python
- At least 2 years of experience with AWS cloud automation
- At least 2 years of experience Chef or at least 2 year of experience with Puppet or at least 1 year of experience with Ansible
- Master's degree
- 2+ years of experience in an enterprise cloud environment
- 1+ years of experience with Incident Management
- 1+ years of experience with Release Management
- 2+ years of experience with Unix shell scripting
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top