Software Development Engineer - Backend Data Engineering
Nottingham Trent House (95002), United Kingdom, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Development Engineer - Backend Data Engineering
Data is the bedrock on which Capital One operates, and the efficiency, security and quality of that data is vital in understanding the needs of our customers and the requirements of our internal teams. By focusing on the speed and quality of data collection, along with efficient and cost effective storage we are able to provide context relevant data to everyone as and when they need it.
Developers in this role will be required to create high performant data collection pipelines, write highly efficient data services and to create all this with an incredibly high degree of stability and security. You will also be working with our partners in the US to use, contribute to and influence services at an Enterprise level.
With data coming from all parts of the Capital One organisation, an ability to work closely with other teams and disciplines is incredibly important.
The key requirement is an individual who has knowledge of high performance application development, a good understanding of data management and an ability to apply that to a complex and data-rich development environment.
Specific Responsibilities and Experience
We're looking for great people and the skills below are only a guide to what we're looking for. If you don't meet all the requirements and think this role is for you, we'd really like to hear from you.
- Designing and developing data collection and validation pipelines from a multitude of different sources
- Working as part of a self-organised Data Tribe to deliver tools and technology as needed
- Working with Product Owners and Team Leads to understand their requirements
- Develop well structured, clean and efficient code to meet the needs of all interested parties
- Alongside the on-team Quality Engineers, develop automation and testing tools to prove the correctness of your work
- Contribute to the development of Enterprise data tools
- Constantly improving your knowledge and skills in both development and programming methodologies
Required Skills and Experience
- A strong working knowledge of Java, C# or other high performance OO programming languages
- Experience of working with RESTful APIs and other HTTP services
- A clear understanding of data formats such as JSON, Parquet or equivalent
- A strong desire to learn new techniques and processes
- Knowledge of estimation and task breakdown
- Knowledge of source control software such as SVN or Git
- Past experience of working with big or real-time data sets
- Development experience using TDD or BDD
- Experience with Agile development
- Experience of scripting languages such as Python, Ruby or similar
- Working knowledge of AWS architecture and related SDKs
- Knowledge of tools such as Kafka or RabbitMQ or similar
- Experience of distributed data platforms like EMR or Spark
- Knowledge of various database technologies such as SQL and NoSQL
- Experience of working within an Enterprise environment
About Capital One
Changing banking for good is not an idle statement, it's our core vision and applies to everything we do. For us, it's a no brainer. A happy customer is a loyal customer. By bringing innovation, simplicity, and, most importantly, humanity to the financial services industry we will succeed in delivering this mission. We are transforming ourselves into a FinTech company.
Capital One has been voted the Best Workplace for the last 3 years and we're also recognised for our work in treating customer fairly. We have two development centres; Nottingham and London and in these we are delivering the next big things that will help our customers succeed.
We'd like you to be part of it.
Your influence will extend far beyond the immediate team. Working with product owners and designers, the innovative and creative side to your personality will shine through. Ever the problem-solver, your data-driven approach to solution design makes you the strongest advocate of our customers.
We offer a very competitive rewards package, a great pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance. You can look forward to a host of other benefits including cycle to work and season ticket loans.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Back to top