Senior Voice Engineer
Nottingham Trent House (95002), United Kingdom, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Voice Engineer
Senior Voice Engineer, Technical Operations
Voice is dead, long live Voice! Despite the uptake of other web and mobile based channels over recent times, the Voice channel at Capital One remains an integral, essential method for customer contact. Providing customers with access to many automated self-serve functions, and also the ability to talk to someone when required, Capital One employs a mixture of world class and bespoke voice infrastructure. Having spent significant time and energy on improvements over the past few years, the solutions used now are at the leading-edge of contact-centre technology and we intend to stay that way.
The Voice team are looking for an experienced engineer to join the team and support the existing platforms as well as help lead the way as we transition to using multi-channel, cloud based solutions in the not too distant future.
Problem solving is the key requirement here, ideally you will have knowledge and experience in the specific technologies although a thirst to learn more and drive towards solutions in the face of technical challenges is just as important. You will be expected to make a significant contribution towards the aim of the team in delivering high levels of service and maintaining the integrated platforms to provide Capital One's customers and our colleagues in the Operations teams with an always available, problem free interaction with the Unified Communications infrastructure.
Your primary role will be to ensure optimum performance for the technologies, resolving incidents, working problems to root cause and ensuring compliance with Capital One's continuously updating security requirements. Identifying & implementing service improvements will play a key part of the role. Contributing to technical analysis, design and implementation activities on a regular basis is also to be expected. Engineers will be expected to lead on at least 1 technology platform and be proficient across them all. You will work as part of the 24*7 OnCall rota, providing out of hours support when required. May also be required to deputise for the Technical Service Manager if needed.
Specific Responsibilities and Experience
We're looking for the best and the skills below are only a guide to what we're looking for. Even if you don't meet all the requirements and think this role is for you, we'd really like to hear from you.
- Work as part of a high performing team with a can do attitude and supporting of all team members.
- Providing Operations Support for the entire Voice Infrastructure (Incident, Problems and Work Orders)
- Working as part of the 24*7 OnCall Rota.
- Being at least 1 Platform SME to drive future direction though refresh activity (Upgrades) and Service Improvements.
- Delivering Change to the Infrastructure as required through Refresh, BAU and Security Compliance activities.
- Identify and Implements Service Improvements Plans
- Identification and Management of Risk and Issues.
- Supporting other teams achieve their goals where applicable
- Working closely and building a relationship with Critical Suppliers (Carriers, 3rd Party Call Centres, System Manufacture Support etc...)
- Understanding Capital One's Strategic Direction for both Service and Architecture/Design and providing support where applicable
- Working with Engineering/Delivery to understand future changes to Systems, Services and Skills required to support.
- Provide/produce supporting documentation to a level of detail, so that a solution can be supported by an appropriately skilled engineer, in their allocated technologies
- Adherence to policies and procedures
- Be a custodian to service through consultancy and implementation activities.
- Mentor, motivate and encourage others in the appropriate use of allocated technologies.
- Maintaining sufficient technical awareness of their allocated technologies
- Building strong relationships with team and peers.
- Personal development - technical & non-technical.
- Own and develop assigned areas of task management.
- Occasional Duties:
- Ad Hoc representation of Manager as requested.
Required Skills and Experience
- Expert technical knowledge of one or more infrastructure technologies, however not exclusive Cisco ICME, Cisco CVP, Cisco Unified CM, Cisco Finesse, NICE Perform, NICE Engage, Cisco Unified IC and SIP Proxy / Gateways
- Expert in Contact Centre Routing Technologies.
- Working in a high performing, broad 24*7 support function.
- Strong understanding of other Infrastructure Technologies, including; Networking (Routing & Switching), Wintel, Linux, Monitoring.
- Strong understanding of security principles and how they apply to infrastructure technologies.
- Ability to communicate openly and effectively in both written and verbal form, confident meeting with internal or external Senior stakeholders
- Management of multiple initiatives
- Excellent time management skills
- Enthusiasm and innovation to sustain high delivery throughput. Commitment to be part of the team, and to support others in making the wider team a success.
Beneficial Skills and Experience
- Working with virtual teams using multiple & varied supplier engagement models
- Strong consultation and customer interaction skills, able to articulate technical information to a non technical audience
- Strong understanding of corporate objectives, IT objectives, Directorate objectives, Departmental objectives and good knowledge of core business processes
- Good knowledge of core IT processes e.g. ITIL / Agile
- Demonstrates good balance between the need to deliver and the need to protect production service
- Extensive experience supporting and or implementing within an infrastructure technology;
- Exposure to structured or process based delivery methodologies
- Experience of working in Financial Services and Banking Industries
Professional Credentials and Education:
- Professional accreditation in allocated technologies
- Highest level of accreditation within allocated technologies (preferred)
- ITIL Foundation
- Minimum: A levels or equivalent
- Preferred: Undergraduate degree or equivalent
Autonomy and Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Level of Supervision: Autonomous, able to support others in allocated technologies
- Capabilities: Work to multiple initiatives, perform in high pressure scenarios, great flexibility and adaptability. Self-Starter
- Typically Reports to: Technical Services Manager
- Management of Others: None
About Capital One
Changing banking for good is not an idle statement, it's our core vision and applies to everything we do. For us, it's a no brainer. A happy customer is a loyal customer. By bringing innovation, simplicity, and, most importantly, humanity to the financial services industry we will succeed in delivering this mission. We are transforming ourselves into a FinTech company.
Capital One has been voted the Best Workplace for the last 3 years and we're also recognised for our work in treating customer fairly. We have two development centres; Nottingham and London and in these we are delivering the next big things that will help our customers succeed.
The Voice team currently supports the infrastructure enabling calls to be delivered to four globally distributed contact centres, with around 400+ concurrent agents servicing approximately 25,000 calls a day.
We'd like you to be part of it.
We offer a very competitive rewards package, a great pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance. You can look forward to a host of other benefits including cycle to work and season ticket loans.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top