Senior Underwriter - Low Income Housing Tax Credit
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Underwriter - Low Income Housing Tax Credit
The incumbent is responsible for the structuring and negotiation, underwriting, closing, due diligence and compliance functions related to the origination of new credit and investment products offered by the Community Finance group, and take a leadership role in managing the deal from origination through closing. It is expected, the incumbent will have the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience to work on the most complicated transactions with only modest day-to-day management involvement. While serving in this role, it is expected that the incumbent will evidence a high degree of competence in all facets of departmental operations and eventually build specific subject matter expertise in an area relevant to but above and beyond the customary level of knowledge required to perform assigned tasks.
• Understand and employ all lending and investment policies and procedures of the Bank and the department.
• Advise production staff on product and transaction structure to meet client objectives within appropriate credit and investment guidelines.
• Identify and elevate issues that may cause a delay in approval or closing or would otherwise warrant additional investigation.
• Communicate information requirements to clients and other deal constituents. Serve as the central contact for provision of the requested data.
• Complete a detailed review and analysis of the character, experience, ability and financial strength of the sponsor(s), contractor(s), guarantor(s) as well as other entities involved with the transaction.
• Complete a detailed analysis of third party documents as well as independent review of general market economic performance, economic factors, in person review of the site and comparable properties, and other analyses which result in supportable estimates on achievable rents, absorption and vacancy.
• Complete a supportable operating pro-forma based on the analysis of the real estate fundamentals, as well as a variety of other documents.
• Complete a detailed analysis of the capital budget which includes reviewing all sources, uses, funds flow timing, restrictions on funding sources, etc.
• Identify, obtain and review all due diligence documentation required for both credit approval as well as compliance considerations, and maintain the underwriting due diligence checklist.
• Complete or obtain and review, risk rating models and profitability analysis.
• Complete a written approval request that, along with financial models and exhibits, will clearly and concisely outline the details of each transaction, the underwriter's recommendation and the basis of the recommendation. The request will identify transaction strengths and mitigate weaknesses, and document bank compliance with internal policies and procedures as well as regulatory and other requirements.
• Present the credit and/or investment request for approval consideration. Communicate the decision to appropriate deal constituencies in conjunction with the production staff.
• Coordinate required processes outside of the department scope, such as appraisals, environmental due diligence, construction risk and counterparty risk review, to make sure all issues are identified and appropriately approved.
• Manage the transaction closing process, including review of all bank documentation for accuracy and compliance with the approval and bank standards.
• Review documentation related to all other sources, including equity, loan, grant, subordinated financing, rental subsidy and regulatory agreements, to verify timing, structure and transaction terms that comport with bank underwriting and approval.
• Satisfy final approval requirements or conditions, and obtain required approvals for structural modifications that occur after original approval but prior to close.
• Liaise with Loan and Equity Administration and Portfolio Management representatives to ensure an efficient closing, initial funding and transfer of the transaction to the Portfolio Manager.
• Populate the electronic credit and/or investment file for each transaction.
• Serve as the primary facilitator between the production staff in communications, discussions and negotiations with bank designated approval staff.
• Identify areas for process improvement and lead efforts to devise or implement actions or processes to deliver results.
• At least a Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
• At least 5 years experience in commercial real estate banking OR At least 5 years experience in financial services
• At least 3 years of experience in affordable housing finance
• Strong credit and financial analysis skills
• Ability to write in a clear and concise manner to convey complex information
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively
• Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills, attention to detail and accuracy
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with particular emphasis on financial modeling.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top