Senior Software Engineer, JAVA
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Software Engineer, JAVA
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. At Capital One, you'll be part of a group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if"?
As a Capital One Software Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: node.js, Java, AngularJS, React, Python, REST, JSON, XML, Ruby, HTML / HTML5, CSS, NoSQL databases, relational databases, Hadoop, Chef, Maven, iOS, Android, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
What you'll do:
- Design and code programs; create and run test transactions; use insights gained to produce necessary design and code revisions. Be willing to take calculated risks.
- Conduct analysis of organizational needs and goals for the development and implementation of application systems, providing ongoing feedback.
- Identify technical obstacles early and work closely with team to find creative solutions.
- Educate team members (including Scrum Masters and Product Owners) on capabilities and constraints of technology platforms.
- Review, analyze, and modify programming systems, including coding, testing, debugging and installing for a large-scale system. Maintain meticulous records to document program development and revisions.
- Consistently share best practices and improve processes within and across sprint teams.
- Mentor junior developers and work to advance culture of technical excellence.
- Bachelors Degree or military experience.
- At least 6 years of experience in application development.
- At least 6 years of experience with Java or at least 4 years of experience with Scala using Spring framework.
- At least 4 years of experience working with databases.
- At least 4 years of experience using DevOps tools.
- At least 4 years of experience building versioned, integrated APIs, in a distributed-service architecture environment.
- At least 1 year of experience with Agile practices.
- 7+ years of experience in Application development.
- 7+ years of experience in Web development.
- 3+ years of design experience of common design patterns and relevant libraries.
- 2+ year of experience as a lead on IT Projects.
- 1+ year experience using Big Data and Fast Data tools like Hadoop, Kafka, ELK, and Spring XD.
- 1+ year of experience using Apache Spark, Apache Storm, Apache Samza, and Apache nifi.
- 1+ year experience with Amazon Web Services using Meso, Docker, Solr, Marathon, or AWS Lambda.
- 1+ year of experience using CAP Theorem and trade offs.
- Agile Software Delivery and Engineering Practice experience such as: Pair Programming, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and Acceptance Test Driven Development.
- Java and Web Application Development developer certifications.
At this time, Capital One will not consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top