Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. We're changing banking for good. At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?" Capital One started as an information strategy company that specialized in credit cards, and we have become one of the most impactful and disruptive players in the industry. We have grown to see ourselves as a technology company in consumer finance, with great opportunities for software engineers who want to build innovative applications to give users smarter ways to save, transact, borrow and invest their money, as we seek to disrupt the industry again.
As a Capital One Full-Stack Engineer, you'll work on every part of a customer-facing web application, using cutting-edge open source frameworks, all on the cloud. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Node.js, React, Flux, Jest, REST, JSON, HTML / HTML5, CSS / SCSS, Selenium, PhantomJS, NGINX, Express, Chef, Docker, Git / Github. You will be fully utilizing AWS with services such as S3, EC2, Lambda, Route53, CloudFront, API Gateway, and many more.
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios - Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Automate everything possible with the goal of creating a great developer and increasing speed to market
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Mentor a team and community of engineers
- Contribute code to the development of multi-platform application systems, through local builds and deployments as well as the CI/CD environments and through to production.
- Ensure adherence to Agile team norms and coding standards, software design best practices, architecture strategy and intent.
- Conduct Design and code reviews to ensure code adheres to development standards.
- Coach and mentor junior developers as needed to build code to adhere to standards.
- Collaborate with other tech teams and product owners for delivering optimal technology solutions which will delight customers.
- Work closely with the team Tech Lead
- Stay up to date on technologies, techniques, and industry trends
- Take ownership of the long term direction of the application
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience with AWS
- Experience with CI/CD of a customer facing web application
- Experience deploying, monitoring, and maintaining a customer facing web application
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience building software in enterprise/commercial environments, including systems and application design, code development and testing.
- An active public Github account.
- 1+ years coding experience in ReactJS:
- 3+ years experience with CI/CD technologies - Jenkins, CircleCI, Docker, etc...
- 3+ years experience with the concepts of code repositories and ability to commit code to Github.
- 1+ years experience with NGINX.
- 1+ years experience with test automation such as Selenium, Cucumber and/or PhantomJS.
- 1+ years experience with Agile, Scrum and/or XP.
- 1+ years experience with open source and commercial technologies and tools.
- 1+ years experience embracing, practicing and evangelizing frequent, incremental code testing and deployment.
- 1+ years experience with the Unix/Linux command line.
- 1+ years experience collaborating and communicating in a large team environment.
- Knowledge of serverless design patterns
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top