Senior Software Engineer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Software Engineer
This position will be supporting the HR Data Warehouse that houses information from various HR applications, specifically Workday, on the HR Information Technology delivery team. The role is accountable to be part of team, participating in technical design/development and support of data feeds, logic, and ETL using existing and emerging technology. Working within an Agile environment, you will actively participate in story planning and detailed daily standups, while providing input for design decisions, issues, and production support monitoring to meet story acceptance criteria. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop technical knowledge and skills on multiple platforms, and educate team members (including BSAs, Scrum Masters and Product Owners) on the capabilities and constraints of technologies.
This role within Human Resources Information Technology is diverse and encompasses all aspects of business/systems analysis, customer relationship management, design/development, testing, and planning. Technology-savvy and versatility is a must, as a wide range of out-sourced solutions, vendors, and custom solutions are part of the Capital One Human Resources landscape.
A successful fit for this role will be someone with DBA, data warehouse, AWS (Redshift), reporting experience (OBIEE) and Tableau (or) SAS data analysis tool experience. This person should be self-directing and is comfortable operating in ambiguous/white space; someone who enjoys wearing multiple hats and can adapt quickly in a dynamic environment; a thinker as well as a performer; and someone who has previous experience in operations and technology projects. Experience with HR platforms (Workday, PeopleSoft, SAP, etc.) will be a plus. You will have the opportunity to continuously develop technical knowledge and skills on multiple platforms, and educate team members on the latest technologies.
- Develops and maintains mapping logic to ETL data sets from a variety of sources systems to the data warehouse dimensional model (star schemas).
- Plans and coordinates database roll-outs with extended team members. Provide support, maintenance, monitoring, troubleshooting, and resolution for data warehouse and database processes.
- Works closely with other team members and product owners to understand, document, and design database and ETL processes.
- Helps resolve bugs and issues and contributes to quality assurance tasks.
- Helps develop and support customer facing reporting, data visualizations, and analytics
- Continuously audits data and processes to identify productivity and innovation opportunities
- Provides general support for assigned applications by reviewing system problem logs; works with business and technical staff to perform effective root-cause analysis and resolution
- Works on focused tasks within an agile team framework to support the program and platform objectives
- Performs data investigation/analysis across multiple systems
- Gathers, compiles, interprets and summarizes systems and business data changes while adhering to data change management best practices.
- Processes source documents by reviewing data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures or raising discrepancies to the business owners for resolution.
- Rapidly analyze data sets from different sources; identify data relationships, business rules, data characteristics and business process gaps.
- Motivation to learn new analytical techniques and to seek ways to creatively drive the creation of data quality scorecards based on stakeholder requirements.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to define and prioritize requirements by drawing out key business insights to provide actionable recommendations.
- Follows the team agile process of software development.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5 years of experience developing database solutions using Oracle
- At least 5 years of experience working on data warehouse projects
- At least 5 years of experience working on ETL solutions using Abinitio.
- At least 2 years of experience working on AWS solutions (S3/EC2/Redshift etc)
- Master’s degree
- 3+ years’ Workday experience
- 5+ years Human Resource Technologies experience
- 1+ years of of experience with analytic and reporting technologies such as Tableau, SAS etc.
- 1+ years of experience developing UNIX scripts, Oracle SQL/PL-SQL.
- 1+ years of experience with unit testing and validating data sets against tie out data sets and business requirements
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Director, Digital Product Marketing
Mazen is transforming the financial industry, one groundbreaking product at a time. By applying imaginative marketing techniques, Mazen shines the spotlight on Capital One’s most impactful financial technologies.
Back to top