Senior Software Engineer
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Software Engineer
As a Software Engineer at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in distributed computing technologies and operating across large sets of data spanning across AWS usage to other cloud related data to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday teams to save money and optimize cost.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Using Big Data tools (Hadoop, Spark, AWS) to conduct the analysis of petabytes of AWS usage data and other data
- Drive the engineering of security and fine grained access controls in our emerging data platforms like AWS EC2, HDFS
- Writing software to clean and investigate large, messy data sets of numerical data
- Integrating with external data sources and APIs to discover interesting trends
- Designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to customers or company leaders using Tableau or other tools
- Investigating the impact of new technologies on the future of digital banking and the financial world of tomorrow
- Work directly with Product Owners and end-users to develop solutions in a highly collaborative and agile environment.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be
- Wrangler. You know how to programmatically extract data from a database and an API, bring it through a transformation or two, and model it into human-readable form (ROC curve, map, d3 visualization, Tableau, etc.).
- Creative. Big, undefined problems and petabytes of data don't frighten you. You're used to working with abstract data, and you love discovering new narratives in unmined territories.
- The ability to own the application end to end and act as an owner
Twenty-five years after Capital One was started it's still led by its founder. Be ready to join a community of the smartest people you've ever met, who see the customer first, and want to use their data skills to make a difference.
- At least 4 years of experience with Python, Java, or Scala
- At least 2 years of experience in open source programming languages
- At least 1 year experience working with AWS
- At least 3 years of experience with SQL
- Master's Degree
- At least 1 year of experience with Spark or Hadoop
- At least 1 year of experience with Kafka, Tableau or Databricks
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Jyotisana manages five teams who simultaneously work on internal and external technology projects in areas from communication to customer service.
Back to top