Senior Software Engineer
201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Software Engineer
The Capital One Technology team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to support our Program Management efforts with an initial focus on Robotic Process Automation. This group sits within a predominantly "Horizon 2" focused broader team at Capital One.
Capital One values complete collaboration with Product Management. As part of your role, you will be relied on for guidance and leadership on our overall program as well as our Product Road Map and prioritization of our associated sprint tasks. This is a team environment.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: node.js, Java, AngularJS, React, Python, REST, JSON, XML, Ruby, HTML / HTML5, CSS, NoSQL databases, relational databases, Hadoop, Chef, Maven, iOS, Android, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
You will work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios and continuously improve software engineering practices. You should be comfortable working in a near-start-up environment, preferably have done this before. You should be a Self Starter. You should be comfortable working in a selfless team environment. Appreciation of diversity of thought, action and team complexion. Self-deprecating, funny or think you're crazy to apply to a Developer role at a bank that sounds interesting. Has architected systems and processes and can look at existing processes with a critical eye
- Develop automation processes to meet the defined requirements.
- Develop new processes/tasks/objects using core workflow principles that are efficient, well structured, maintainable and easy to understand.
- Set and enforce coding standards.
- Direct efforts to define technical requirements
- Design conceptual architecture and technical solutions and lead efforts to develop and implement solutions
- Take responsibility for project activities including work estimation, planning, stakeholder management and project quality
- Own partnership with cross-functional technology and design teams to ensure consistent, beneficial client interaction and solution delivery.
- Worked with RPA/Business Process automation tools
Position Provides Exposure to:
- Front End Skills: Java Script (jQuery, dojo)/CSS/HTML, Single Page Applications (AngularJS, React), Responsive Design
- Back End Skills: Microservices, REST, JVM (Java - Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate, etc; Clojure), NodeJS, Database (Postrgres, MySQL, etc)
- DevOps/Platforms: Amazon Web Service (S3, RDS, EC2, Lambda, SQS, SNS, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, etc), Chef, Docker, Ansible
- Automation Testing: Selenium, Cucumber, ATDD, Protractor, Karma, Automated Performance and Regression/Functional Testing
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Nexus, Artifactory
- Build/SCM Tools: Maven, Gradle, Grunt, Gulp, Git, NPM
- DB/Data Platforms: Kafka, Storm, MongoDB, Hadoop, Spring XD/Spring Batch
- Data Science Platforms: Machine Learning applications to solve real-world problems
- Frameworks: Kubernetes
- Bachelors' Degree or Military Experience
- At least 4 years' experience in Software Engineering, Platform Engineering, Middleware or Database Technology
- 3 years' experience with the AWS eco-system, toolsets and deployment architecture
- 1 year experience in Cloud Services (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- 1 year experience in databases (SQL, NoSQL)
- 1 year experience in scripting languages (Python)
- 1 year experience with RESTful API
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top