Senior Software Developer in Test-Data Engineering
Nottingham Trent House (95002), United Kingdom, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Software Developer in Test-Data Engineering
Senior Software Developer in Test - Data Engineering
Data is fundamental to how Capital One operates, and it is vital that the data we have is available to those who need it quickly, clearly and without barriers. By allowing our data scientists and owners to quickly review, analyse and dive into the data we collect - as we collect it - we allow them to provide not only great service to our customers, but also great tools and experiences to everyone within Capital One.
As a Senior Software Developer in Quality Engineering you will have a passion for delivering high quality systems. You will play a critically important role in our data engineering teams. You'll be a leader of the feature delivery planning process and working directly with the developers to deliver innovative, best in class software for our customers.
Specific Responsibilities and Experience
We're looking for the best and the skills below are only a guide to what we're looking for. If you don't meet all the requirements but think this role is for you, we'd like to hear from you.
- You will be a pro-active engineer, looking to move forward the overall capability of testing across multiple data teams
- You will have ownership of Test Architecture and can create and implement strategic improvements
- You will be able to tackle complex problems and create testing solutions across large scale systems
- As a Senior member of the team you will play a key role in mentoring and developing other engineers
- Working as part of a self-organised data engineering team to deliver tools and technology as needed
- Improve yours and your peers' knowledge and skills in development and programming methodologies
- Your designs will include identifying user scenarios, establishing quality criteria and building test automation harnesses that will allow complex testing to be performed for the tools provided by our data engineering team. Tests will need to be written for integration and end-to-end level.
- You'll also conduct research on emerging technologies to analyse systems, decompose complicated software systems and design strategies to test them, building advanced and automated test suites to exercise our ground breaking products.
- You will provide high quality reporting on product readiness and verify proper testing coverage and procedures both independently and collectively in a team environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience of database technologies such as SQL and NoSQL on multiple projects
- Proficient knowledge in one or more of the following languages: Java, Scala, Python, Ruby, etc.
- Proficient with data structures, algorithms, and systems architecture
- General understanding of databases
- Experience with testing practices, processes and artefact creation, and user acceptance testing.
- A strong desire to learn new techniques and processes
- Knowledge of estimation and task breakdown along with long term planning in an agile environment
- Knowledge ofVersion Control tools such as Git or Mercurial
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a dynamic environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of working with various Cloud technologies like AWS, Google Cloud, etc.
- Test development experience using ATDD or BDD
- CI/CD experience within the AWS infrastructure or related cloud architecture
- History of working with NoSQL databases like MongoDB
- Background of working with multiple data scientists and architects
- Experience of working with data formats such as JSON or equivalent
About Capital One
Capital One UK is a division of Capital One Financial Corporation. We are the UK's top 10 credit card providers. Since our beginning, we have seen us built on hold, new ideas and entrepreneurial spirit. In an era changing financial landscape, we are transforming to a technology company that happens to do credit, always on, and striving for the breakthroughs that will change banking for good.
Changing banking for good is our core vision and applies to everything we do. A happy customer is a loyal customer. By bringing innovation, simplicity, and, most importantly, humanity to the financial services industry we will succeed in delivering this mission. We are also recognised for our work in treating customers fairly. We have two development hubs, including Nottingham and London, delivering the next big things that will help our customers.
We'd like you to be part of it.
We offer a very competitive rewards package, a great pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance. You can look forward to a host of other benefits including cycle to work and season ticket loans.
We love continuous learning and that's why we give you 10% of your time to work on cutting edge innovative projects that shape the way we will work in the future.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top