Senior Product Architect
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Product Architect
Capital One is seeking a Senior Product Architect to help lead Event Driven Architectural governance for our API Center of Excellence team. In this role, you will have an opportunity to shape best practices in eventing strategy, design and execution for teams across the entire company.
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We are a Fortune 100 company and one of the nation's top 10 largest banks based on deposits, reaching tens of millions of customers. Simultaneously, Capital One is building a developer focused, API-driven platform, and this is a high-impact role that will move the business forward toward that goal.
The right candidate will be able to integrate solid software product and business understanding with deep knowledge of message brokers, developer experience and platform thinking. We need an individual comfortable communicating technical complexity who has a passion for influencing software teams and business leadership.
- Set Event Messaging and Developer Experience standards for product development teams across the company
- Lead Event Messaging design reviews to ensure interface alignment with business intent and usability standards
- Translate business needs from cross-functional teams into event architectural message & functional requirements
- Act as a Design coach to software engineers and product managers across the company, from Kafka novices to experts
- Inspire change through persuasive documentation
- Evangelize new event-driven business and operational models that align with the business vision
- Discover needs, gaps and opportunities while working directly with internal and external consumers
- Train business and technical leaders, developers, and product managers on event practices, opportunities, and realities in multiple formats
- Identify and evangelize additional opportunities to build great event architectures throughout the enterprise
- Remain continuously informed of emerging software trends and engaged with the larger event driven architecture community
Keys to Success:
- You have a passion for message brokers and elegant message design
- You understand software architecture and agile development patterns
- You can communicate business requirements to technical teams and vice versa.
- You can work independently with unwavering professionalism.
- You can positively represent our brand.
- You feel at ease in complex environments.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 4 years of Product Management or Software Development experience
- At least 4 years of experience working with development teams in a fast-paced environment
- Great translator; able to speak the language of technology and of business teams
- Experience building, consuming, documenting or supporting events (ideally all of the above!)
- Working familiarity with Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, Kestrel, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Webhooks, PubSubHubbub, and/or other message brokering systems
- Professional API Product Management experience
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- 7+years in Product Management
- 4+years of team management experience
- 4+years of experience managing client or vendor relationships
- Excellent presentation skills, comfortable presenting to senior leadership
- Strong attention to detail, combined with ability to see and explain the big picture
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, change, and shifting priorities
- Experience with APIs
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top