Senior Network Operations Cisco ACI Network Engineer
Plano 2 (31062), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Network Operations Cisco ACI Network Engineer
Capital One IT Operations has an opening for an Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) Network Operations Engineer in our Operations Advanced Services Tier 3 organization. As an ACI Network Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for leading and ensuring that Capital One best practices and methodologies are applied to the design, deployment and operations of ACI Projects.
You will also be responsible to provide technical guidance and leadership to engineering teams. You will be the Operational technical point of contact for the customer and provide design, migration and deployment guidance. In addition to ACI experience, the candidate must possess strong to advanced knowledge of routing / switching, carrier services and data center services. Candidate will primarily act in a Tier 3 engineering support role for the enterprise data network platforms performing various activities. Such activities include troubleshooting performance issues and performing break-fix network changes.
This position calls for a candidate who will help execute against support strategies for data network platform requirements and deployments. The candidate should have experience with and a strong knowledge of Incident, Problem and Change management processes. Candidate will drive technical resolution of High-Severity & Low Severity Incidents. Candidate will provide direct support of Problem Management process, including Post-Mortem participation and presentations. Candidate will help govern device remediation and Operational Resiliency activities.
- Design, deploy and support Data Center Networks utilizing industry best practices and Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure and Nexus 9k platforms.
- Contribute to the development and performance of a migration plan from traditional data center network designs to Cisco ACI.
- Integrate services appliances to Cisco ACI deployments to include Application Delivery Controllers and Firewalls.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Create Low Level Design, High Level Design, Implementation Plan, and Acceptance - Test Plan documents in accordance with Capital One standards.
- Perform installation, configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting of Capital One managed hardware, software and peripheral devices.
- Oversee/perform new and existing equipment, hardware and software upgrades.
- Provide Technical leadership and guidance to junior personnel.
- Manage and Govern relationships with technology vendors utilized in the enterprise network.
- Ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements
- Assess vulnerabilities, identify and implement mitigation plans
- Own platform life-cycle management
- Operations Tier 3 escalation resource for incident resolution
The ideal candidate should have:
- Minimum 2-3 years' experience with at least one compute virtualization platform: VMware, vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or KVM.
- Active Cisco® CCNP/CCIE certificate or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with at least one configuration management tool such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible or Salt.
- Sound understanding of OpenFlow, OpenStack, Virtualization and Application Centric Infrastructure
- Proficient Python programming skills with object-oriented design principles desired.
- Hands on experience with at least one SDN controller architecture (ex. Cisco APIC, POX, Open Daylight).
- Hands on experience on how to create different application policies in the ACI including Tenants, Application Network Profile (ANP), End Point Group (EPG), Contracts, Subjects and Filters
- Hands on experience on the Fabric Access Policy including how to create switch policies, interface policies, AEPs, Physical and External Domains
Hands on experience on Fabric Discovery Activity including Verifying the APIC and LEAF Health.
- Experience configuring and deploying enterprise-class networks including the following products: Cisco Nexus 9k,7k,5k,2k Switches, Cisco Catalyst Switches and Cisco ASR / ISR Routers.
- Strong understanding of external L2/L3 fabric connectivity and Experience in L2/L3 switching Architecture design. Must have a solid understanding in BGP, OSPF, VDC, vPC, VXLAN, ECMP and Fabric Path.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High school diploma, GED/equivalent certification or military experience.
- At least 10 years of experience in all technical aspects of switching and router implementation.
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in operational support or at least 8 years of leadership experience in an engineering capacity for a large enterprise network.
- At least 8 years of experience in all aspects of engineering or at least 4 years of experience in all aspects of operational support.
- Bachelor's degree
- CCNP/CCIE Datacenter Routing and Switching certification
- 3 years of experience with Cisco ACI.
- 10 years of experience in technical leadership in a large enterprise network
- 10 years of experience in IT infrastructure
- 10 years of experience in all technical aspects of Routing implementation
- 10 years of experience in all technical aspects of Switching implementation
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top