Senior Manager, Service Design
Plano 6 (31066), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager, Service Design
The Capital One Design team is a diverse team of human-centered designers charged with disrupting how people interact with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. We are change agents bringing new design capabilities to an organization serving 60 million customers. We are thought leaders engaging the greater design community through speaking, teaching, and writing.
Service Design at Capital One
Service designers flex from being strategic to tactical, from pragmatic to analytical. They are gifted storytellers and connectors. As a Service Designer, you will work alongside design leads, visual designers, design managers, product managers, and business partners on highly strategic projects across the organization.
You will have the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge to real world service design challenges. You will also receive mentorship from industry-leading designers and have the opportunity to network with design industry professionals, both inside the service design practice and across Capital One.
You will learn methods and gain new skills by working with us on service design projects both large and small. Similarly, we want you to bring new methods and techniques to our practice.
Designers who are humble and take pride in their work thrive at Capital One. You should be able to contribute across the project lifecycle, with comfort and fluency as a researcher, strategist, technologist, and designer. You employ design thinking methods to uncover insights to inform design decisions. You think by doing and making. You are an excellent communicator and feel comfortable presenting your work to others.
What you'll do
- Envision and design new service touchpoints
- Prototype tools and systems with partners to implement, enable, and scale solutions
- Identify exemplary service patterns and extend to new channels and contexts
- Connect service offerings in innovative ways to benefit customers
- Measure and evaluate services to extract stories of impact and opportunities for improvement or experimentation
- Align business, tech, and design partners to foster growth and impact
How you'll succeed
- Bring new skills, passion, and positive energy to the team
- Jump into a dynamic team that is driven to transform banking for good
- Share in our purpose to empower customers and associates alike
What you bring
- Experience in core service design methods and processes
- Ability to work in all phases of the design process (thinking and making), including research, analysis, synthesis, prototyping, and implementation
- The ability to design at various levels of zoom, from interactions and touchpoints to products and services to end-to-end journeys
- A creative approach that strives for value creation not only for customers but also for employees and the business
- A systems-oriented mindset, with an appetite to dig into complex design challenges
- Depth in at least one practice area that sets you apart from the pack
- A passion for creating new methods and practices
- A collaborative nature with strong communication skills, sincerity, and a sense of humor in the face of ambiguous design challenges
- Confidence and pride in your work, skills, experience, and expertise
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of experience designing for omni-channel services and prototypes
- Master's degree
- Demonstrated interest and aptitude in service design methods
- 8+ years of experience with Adobe Creative Suite (experience with Sketch preferred)
- 8+ years of prototyping experience
- Fluency and interest in digital testing and measurement tools
- Experience working in Agile
- Knowledge and fluency in business processes
- Stellar communication design skills
- Great presentation and public speaking skills
- Experience with teaching and training
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top