Senior Manager, Senior Counsel - Commercial Bank
Bethesda Metro Center (17049), United States of America, Bethesda, Maryland
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager, Senior Counsel - Commercial Bank
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, small business and commercial clients. Ranked #148 on the Fortune 500, Capital One is one of the nation's top 10 banks and has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work. We're excited to be growing and hiring across the country to build the next generation on sound practices and values so that our philosophy can transcend into our products and services. We hope you join our tremendous team that has helped changed our industry for the better.
The Capital One Legal Department is seeking an experienced attorney to provide support for its growing Commercial Bank business. The role will primarily support the Strategic Investments Group ("SIG"), an innovative team that develops and manages new programs for the Commercial Bank across multiple asset classes (corporate, real estate, asset based, institutional, etc. loans).
The successful candidate must have outstanding legal and communication skills, an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of an innovative, sophisticated and fast-paced business and the flexibility to simultaneously manage a wide range of projects.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to work with an exceptional group of legal and business professionals in a dynamic environment.
- -Advise the SIG team on a wide variety of matters and closely coordinate with legal experts in many disciplines, including, regulatory, tax, securities, real estate, etc.
- -Closely partner with SIG with the development, operationalizing and maintenance of strategic partnerships or structured vehicles investing in Capital One-agented transactions
- -Assist with the legal analysis and drafting relating to products developed and managed by SIG, including advising on individual financing transactions utilizing the special products
- -Support the internal approval & new product introduction processes for new strategic programs
- -Prepare and/or review internal presentations covering legal risks/mitigants relating to new programs
- -Ensure corporate formalities observed, including maintenance of minute book for legal entities created by SIG
- -Draft, negotiate and/or review non-disclosure agreements
- -Manage legal policies and procedures for the Commercial Bank
- -Overseeing outside legal counsel as needed in an effective and efficient manner.
- -Escalate issues, as appropriate, and partner collaboratively to identify issues and share potential concerns and ideas with other legal teams across the enterprise
- -Review internal and external marketing materials relating to SIG products
- -Work on legal projects and process improvements across the Commercial Bank (form management, billing, law firm engagement and management and licensing)
The successful candidate will have:
- -Excellent legal and analytical skills
- -Demonstrable advocacy and oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact successfully with all functions and levels of Bank associates
- -Demonstrated ability to quickly understand the business' needs and partner with the business, other members of the Legal Department and other groups to create solutions and efficiently deliver team results
- -Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- -Collaborative work style, but able to work independently with guidance
- -Ability and desire to understand complex issues
- -At least a J.D. degree and a state bar member in good standing
- -At least 5 years of law firm or in-house legal department experience in commercial finance or structured finance
- -6+ years of major law firm or in-house legal department experience in commercial finance and/or structured finance (commercial lending, securitizations)
- -Strong understanding of the commercial debt capital markets across multiple asset classes.
- -Experience with lending to a wide variety of industries and other regulated industries
- -Knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to commercial lending
- -Demonstrated ability to navigate across a large organization and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- -Experience with joint venture or partnership transactions
- -Experience with sponsor-backed finance transactions
- -Experience with equity investments
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top