Senior Manager of Software Engineering - Polyglot
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager of Software Engineering - Polyglot
Are you excited by the challenge of building systems that help millions of consumers and small businesses manage their finances? Are you a passionate software engineer who likes to use a variety of languages and tools? Are you excited by building and deploying cloud-based systems?
We have several teams devoted to account aggregation solutions that empower our customers to access and control their financial data regardless of which financial institutions or applications they use.
We are looking for an exceptional senior manager with extensive hands-on software engineering experience to manage a high performing team and critical system. The team delivers high quality software quickly and embraces an ownership mentality – we build, test, deploy, and support our solutions. We typically ship code to our AWS production environments multiple times per week without any downtime.
To be successful, you should be comfortable in a fast-paced environment with a variety of technologies, demonstrate an acute attention to detail, possess a strong sense of ownership, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills. A very strong technical background coupled with humility and a sense of humor would be ideal.
If this sounds like the perfect challenge for the next step in your career, please consider joining our team.
- Demonstrate both effective people management and disciplined software development leadership.
- Deliver high quality software that scales in a zero-downtime environment.
- Partner with business to define and prioritize work, determine deliverables, and manage workloads.
- Lead technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have influence outside your immediate team.
- Build reusable solutions that can be shared across teams.
- Conduct code reviews and, time permitting, contribute code.
- Recruit top talent and ensure team members are sharpening their skills and growing their careers.
- At least 10 years of experience in software development including design, coding, and testing
- At least 1 year of experience managing a software development team, including performance management
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Minor in Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience with Java, Spring, and JUnit
- 2+ years of experience managing git workflows, pull requests, and releases
- 2+ years of Linux command line or scripting experience
- 1+ years of experience with database design and query optimization
- 1+ year of experience with Netflix OSS (e.g., Hystrix)
- 1+ year of experience with caching (e.g., Redis, memcached)
- 1+ year of experience with JIRA
- 1+ year of experience with Agile/Kanban/Scrum methodologies
At this time Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top