Senior Manager, Network Engineering
Plano 1 (31061), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager, Network Engineering
We are actively seeking a highly creative and intellectually curious technology professional with deep technical expertise in networking to join us! This is an opportunity to lead a high-performance team, manage a large and evolving network infrastructure, hone the performance of the environment, and foster the use of expert level troubleshooting skills by the team.
You will collaborate and innovate with smart and passionate people within Capital One to push the envelope to deliver results that have a direct impact on the company's bottom line. You will manage a team of dynamic and talented network professionals who want to learn from your experience and skills. You will work closely with Engineering and Architecture leads to help deliver next generation DDI and F5 products in cloud and physical Data Centers.
On any given day you will:
Direct a team of senior-level associates with Tier 3 sustaining engineering responsibilities to:
- Lead enterprise strategy development/design standard development/asset management, and lifecycle management efforts for owned platforms/technologies
- Own relationships with technology vendors
- Tenaciously manage platform environment to ensure it is operating at optimal levels through proactive monitoring/tuning
- Drive major incident/problem resolution, consulting with other technology support groups as needed as part of problem resolution efforts
- Lead the implementation of new platforms, code versions, and features to meet lifecycle management and business requirements
- Assess security vulnerabilities, identify mitigation plans and successfully implement them
- Create and/or maintain standards documentation, design documentation/templates/topology diagrams and workflow documents
- Participate in technology integration efforts with other engineering and support teams
- Serve as mentor and coach for team through one-on-one or group discussions.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements; ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
Successful candidates possess:
- Experience maintaining and growing a geographically distributed high-performance team of specialists.
- Understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, frequently changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects competing for priority and resources.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills with proven ability to collaborate and influence across different teams.
- Ability to discuss complex technical issues with engineers and vendors, clearly present technical information to non-technical audiences, and inform/influence senior leaders and peers
- Strong knowledge of incident management, problem management, and change management best-practices.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills with high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a geographically dispersed integrated team.
- Understanding of how to use network management tools and packet captures to identify and resolve operational issues
- Familiarity with Agile/Kanban project delivery, industry standard network management tools, and common application traffic flow patterns in multi-tiered applications that utilize server load
- A solid understanding of what comprises a scalable, robust, supportable design
- Calmness and clarity of thought under pressure
- A bias toward action, along with a strong internal drive to self-identify continuous improvement opportunities and execute on them
- A passion for teamwork
- Ability to identify network automation opportunities and drive their implementation
- A solid understanding of DNS, DHCP, server and global load balancing, firewalls, and routing
- This position is a sustaining engineering role. As such, periodic late night maintenance work and participation in a management on-call rotation is required.
- At least a Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 6 years of professional experience in a sustaining engineering role supporting a geographically distributed enterprise class Network Infrastructure
- At least 4 years of professional experience in a technical role supporting a geographically distributed enterprise class Network Infrastructure.
- At least 3 years of experience with Infoblox or BIND DNS
- At least 3 years of experience with DHCP
- At least 3 years of experience with load balancing solutions.
- At least 3 years of experience with Unix/Linux System administration
- At least 1 year of experience with public cloud implementations with AWS or Azure
- Master's degree in Information Technology or Information Security
- AWS Professional or Associate Certification
- At least 10 years' professional experience in a sustaining engineering role supporting a geographically distributed enterprise class network infrastructure.
- At least 6 years' professional experience in a technical leadership role supporting a geographically distributed enterprise class network infrastructure.
- At least 3 years' experience with load balancer technologies (F5 GTM/LTM)
- At least 5 years' experience with Infoblox or BIND DNS, DHCP, IPAM, and Linux System administration
- At least 5 years' experience with load balancer platforms, technologies, and implementations.
- At least 2 years' experience with network automation, especially with Python
- At least 2 years' experience with public cloud implementations, ideally AWS
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top