Senior Manager, Data Engineering
11 West 19th Street (22008), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager, Data Engineering
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? Capital One has a history of disrupting, and we are doing it again. We're experimenting, innovating, and delivering really cool stuff to 65 million customers. We love to be curious, to dream, to ask, "What if?" Oh, and we love to write code.
Hey, maybe you should be here too.
Keep reading if:
- You're driven to build intuitive experiences that start with the customer.
- You embrace change and innovation, always seeking to push the boundaries and are comfortable challenging the status-quo.
- You LOVE technology and learning new things.
What we're looking for:
- Amazing technical instincts. You know how to evaluate and choose the right technology and approach for the job. You have stories you could share about what problem you thought you were solving at first, but through testing and iteration, came to solve a much bigger and better problem that resulted in positive outcomes all-around.
- A love for learning. Technology is continually evolving around us, and you want to keep up to date to ensure we are using the right tech at the right time.
- Confidence, not ego. You have an ability to collaborate with others and see all sides of the coin to come to the best solution for everyone.
We are looking for an experienced data engineer in the open source big data ecosystem. You should bring engineering and development discipline to data engineering work within our Commercial Banking Innovation team. We value balanced teams and T-shaped specialists, so your expertise in data engineering should be augmented with software development or DevOps skillset. We understand that the field changes rapidly, so you need to demonstrate ability to learn and adapt quickly. We are a tightly-knit team that values egoless leadership. We are a part of a larger organization, so we will rely on your ability to get things done through others.
You will be evaluating, installing, configuring, and deploying software; you will be writing code and use thoughtful engineering practices to test it, deploy it, and run it. Some of the tools and platforms targeted to be used by the team include NiFI, Kafka and other message brokers. Also databases such as Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB, Parquet and Avro as well as other tools such as Impala, Druid, H2O, Spark and MLib, Spark, Beam, Flink and Storm.
1. At least 3 years of software engineering fundamentals (inclusive of source control, development practices, agile, testing, CI/CD)
2. At least 3 years big data engineering experience, focusing on Ingestion, Transformation, Storage, Query, or Analytics open source tools
3. At least 5 year experience in a single programming language and ecosystem (e.g. Java, Python, Scala, Go)
4. At least 3 years data modeling experience (e.g. dimensional modeling, temporal modeling, OLAP)
Relocation assistance will be provided for candidates who qualify.
At this time, Capital One will sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top