Senior Manager, Cloud and Network Services
- McLean, VA
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Manager, Cloud and Network Services
We are actively seeking a highly creative and intellectually curious technology professional with deep technical expertise in networking to join us! This is an opportunity to lead a high-performance team, manage a large and evolving network infrastructure, hone the performance of the environment, and foster the use of expert level troubleshooting skills by the team.
You will collaborate and innovate with smart and passionate people within Capital One to push the envelope to deliver results that have a direct impact on the company's bottom line. You will manage a team of dynamic and talented network professionals who want to learn from your experience and skills. You will work closely with Engineering and Architecture leads to help deliver next generation DDI and F5 products in cloud and physical Data Centers.
On any given day you will:
- Direct a team of senior-level associates comprising of Subject matter experts (SMEs) and Tier 3 sustaining engineering folks. Day to day responsibilities include
- Lead enterprise strategy development/design standard development/asset management, and lifecycle management efforts for owned platforms/technologies
- Collaboration with Architecture teams on developing standards for internal and cloud hosted services as well as third party access and control to Capital One systems.
- Partner with the security organization on assessing security exposure, identifying mitigation plans and ensuring compliance with all relevant security configuration standards.
- Engagement with teams across the company to understand current needs, strategic direction, and upcoming requirements in order to support line of business initiatives as well as proactively evolve the infrastructure services offerings for your domain.
- Own relationships with technology vendors
- Tenaciously manage platform environment to ensure it is operating at optimal levels through proactive monitoring/tuning
- Drive major incident/problem resolution, consulting with other technology support groups as needed as part of problem resolution efforts
- Lead the implementation of new platforms, code versions, and features to meet lifecycle management and business requirements
- Assess security vulnerabilities, identify mitigation plans and successfully implement them
- Create and/or maintain standards documentation, design documentation/templates/topology diagrams and workflow documentsServe as mentor and coach for team through one-on-one or group discussions.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements; ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
- Coach and develop a team of experienced DNS and LB engineers as well as attract and foster new talent.
Successful candidates possess:
- Experience maintaining and growing a geographically distributed high-performance team of specialists.
- Understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Ability to balance and drive to completion multiple priorities in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, frequently changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects competing for priority and resources.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills with proven ability to collaborate and influence across different teams.
- Ability to discuss complex technical issues with engineers and vendors, clearly present technical information to non-technical audiences, and inform/influence senior leaders and peers
- Strong knowledge of incident management, problem management, and change management best-practices.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a geographically dispersed integrated team.
- Understanding of how to use network management tools and packet captures to identify and resolve operational issues
- Familiarity with Agile/Kanban project delivery, industry standard network management tools, and common application traffic flow patterns in multi-tiered applications that utilize server load
- A solid understanding of what comprises a scalable, robust, supportable design
- Calmness and clarity of thought under pressure
- A bias toward action, along with a strong internal drive to self-identify continuous improvement opportunities and execute on them
- A passion for teamwork
- Ability to identify network automation opportunities and drive their implementation
- A solid understanding of DNS, DHCP, server and global load balancing, firewalls, and routing
- This position requires management of teams that perform periodic late night maintenance work and participate in on-call rotation.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years' management experience in a technical leadership role supporting a geographically distributed network infrastructure
- At least 2 years' experience leading teams following Agile methodologies using either JIRA or Version One
- At least 5 years of experience with Infoblox, BIND or open source DNS tools
- At least 3 years of experience with DHCP
- At least 3 years of experience with load balancing technologies and solutions
- At least 3 years of experience with Unix or Linux System administration
- At least 2 years of experience with public cloud implementations with AWS
- Master's degree in Information Technology or Information Security
- AWS Professional or Associate Certification
- At least 7 years' professional experience in a network technologies role leading and supporting a geographically distributed enterprise class network infrastructure and team of individuals
- At least 6 years' experience with Infoblox or BIND DNS, DHCP, IPAM, and Linux System administration
- At least 7 years' experience with load balancer platforms, technologies, and implementations.
- Experience with at least one software configuration management system (eg: Puppet, Ansible, Chef, CFT)
- At least 3 years' experience with public cloud implementations, ideally AWS
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top