Senior IT Manager
Knolls 2 (12036), United States of America, Glen Allen, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior IT Manager
We started Capital One with a simple principle – attract great talent and give them the opportunity to be great. That strategy has made us the nation's leading digital bank with more than 65-million customers and 40,000 associates worldwide.
We may look like a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking.
We are looking for an experienced Senior IT Manager with operational and/or engineering background with a passion for providing superior system availability and customer experience. We are looking for candidates who can drive reliability and performance across massive scale by mastering the full depth of the stack. As a Senior IT Manager, you will have the opportunity to tackle complex problems of scale which are unique to tech companies while using your expertise in delivery and support of critical services.
- Increase operational efficiencies to pro-actively reduce and mitigate production incidents
- Provide Call Leadership to mitigate critical incidents
- Lead a team of experienced support engineers to meet or exceed expectations on incident SLAs
- Ability to understand full technology stack of systems in assigned domain
- Lead a high performing support engineers to provide a 24x7 support for systems with an ever-watchful eye on their availability, latency, performance, and capacity
- Collaborating with other tech leads and support teams to ensure integrated end-to-end availability, reliability, and performance
- Define support strategies for systems in the Cloud (AWS)
- Influencing resiliency and scalability in production environments in Amazon Web Services and other cloud platforms
- Identify and drive resolution on monitoring and alerting gaps
- Lead a team to design, write and deliver technical and process automations to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Capital One's services
- Solve problems relating to critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning
- Identifying and remediating risk to critical and non-critical system KPIs
- Familiarity with application architectures and networking
- Familiarity with automation of routine maintenance tasks and common issues
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way
- Networking: knowledge and understanding of network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing)
- At least 1 year of experience in two or more of the following:
- AWS cloud services configuration & administration
- Chef, Ansible, Puppet or UDeploy
- Jenkins, Codeship, or Travis experience
- Restful web/API services support and deployment
- Splunk, BlueStripe, Zabbix monitoring / alerting
- Current technical certification(s) in any of the above technologies
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years of experience in managing production support teams involving systems in the Cloud
- Master's Degree
- 3+ years of experience in AWS
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top