Senior Director, Experience Design
Plano Town Center (31064), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Director, Experience Design
We want to change the way people engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It's audacious work at a massive scale.
Our Financial Services division, located in Plano, Texas, is in the process of transforming an industry – while fulfilling Capital One's mission to change banking for good. The Senior Director, Experience Design will report to Jamin Hegeman, formerly of Adaptive Path.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing a vision, driving the action plan, and leading the design function to deliver top-tier results. She/he will exhibit excellent people leadership skills to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates along with the ability to effectively influence the Capital One executive leadership team. Strong business judgment, communications, and analytical skills are essential. She/he will be a team player with the ability to work independently in a fast-moving environment and have the ability to multi-task with strong attention to detail.
- Bring a bold vision and strong leadership to Capital One's design team, leading the full spectrum of design disciplines for Financial Services; which includes out Dealer Auto, Consumer Auto, and Home Equity lines of business
- Lead and facilitate a talented, multidisciplinary team through each stage of the design process (strategy to execution)
- Advocate for customer experience and associate experience, while supporting business initiatives; report on design's impact
- Establish and manage best-in-class design practices, from strategy to delivery
- Expand our capabilities in design research, design strategy, service design, digital experience, and prototyping
- Prioritize work and resources
- Recruit and hire additional team members as needed
- Maintain competitive awareness
What you bring:
- You have familiarity with, and the ability to lead the end-to-end design process, design strategy, research, synthesis, ideation, to execution
- You possess the ability to build consensus and exhibit senior-level presence
- You are willing to take calculated risks and make unpopular or difficult decisions
- Ability to operate at both a high and low level of zoom, elegantly shifting from strategy to details
- You display thought leadership by contributing subject matter expertise in the areas of design strategy, design process, information architecture, interaction design, visual design, design research, and customer behavior
- You know how to create inspired, effective project teams that make designers clamor to work with you again
- You offer proficiency in crafting approaches that fit the unique needs and desired outcomes of the project at hand
- You possess strong facilitation and workshop design skills
- You balance a hands-on practice with stepping back to let your team of designers shine
- You encourage diversity of thought within your team(s)
- You possess a consultative approach and a collaborative nature
You're a good fit if you:
- Are comfortable navigating highly-regulated industries
- Are excited to work with multidisciplinary teams and adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Use design to communicate complex concepts simply and always strive to make things tangible, whether they're conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Enjoy being at the whiteboard
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends and are up for the challenge of bringing new technologies to a conservative industry
- At least 10 years' experience in a Head of Design role; leading concept-to-delivery design teams
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- Master's degree in Design or Human-Computer Interaction
- Experience working on or leading service design projects
- 7+ years' experience with team leadership or management
- 2+ years' experience with a large-scale consumer internet company
- 2+ years' experience in start-up environment
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top