Senior DevOps Engineer (AWS, Ansible, Docker)
West Creek 6 (12076), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior DevOps Engineer (AWS, Ansible, Docker)
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers.
At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?" Capital One started as an information strategy company that specialized in credit cards, and we have become one of the most impactful and disruptive players in the industry. We have grown to see ourselves as a technology company in consumer finance, with great opportunities for software engineers who want to build innovative applications to give users smarter ways to save, transact, borrow and invest their money, as we seek to disrupt the industry again.
As a DevOps Engineer at Capital One you will be:
- Working within a team of like-minded professionals to plan, deploy, and maintain critical business applications in a production cloud environment.
- Designing and implementing appropriate environments for those applications, engineer suitable release management procedures and provide production support.
- Influencing other teams and broader Engineering groups in adopting Cloud technologies, processes, and best practices.
- Redesigning legacy applications for Cloud implementation.
- Automating the provisioning of environments: cooking up some recipes with Chef or Ansible, and deploying environments using containers, like Docker.
- Designing and developing automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting review to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assess the overall quality of delivered components.
- Troubleshooting problems, involving the appropriate resources and driving resolution of issues with a focus on minimizing impact to our customers.
- Providing on-call support and possibly some after-hours work as needed.
- Participating in the Agile DevOps design, development, testing, and release of new capabilities and features with focus on release and post-production support.
- Representing production support for the suite of apps in the domain in Agile stand-ups, planning sessions and deployment activities.
- Driving improvements to processes and design enhancements to automation to continuously improve the production environment.
- Identifying reoccurring issues and work with IT & Business partners to remediate using the problem management process.
- Coordinating approves, and/or performs changes to the production environment
Frequent technologies used in this role include: AWS, Chef, Ansible, Docker, Linux Shell Scripting, Bash Scripting, and Jenkins.
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience implementing automated environment delivery and developing automation workflows and routines
- At least 2 years of experience in a large-scale, high volume and high availability critical system implementation
- At least 2 years of experience in infrastructure design, implementation and delivery
- At least 1 year of experience with web services architecture
- At least 1 year of experience with Cloud based hosting solutions
- Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering
- Certified AWS Architect
- 1+ year of experience working with Agile Development practices.
- Experience with Deployment Management tools such as Chef, Anisble or Puppet
- 2+ years of experience Production Support experience in Unix and Windows environments
- 2+ years of experience in technology delivery in a DevOps environment
- 2+ years of experience with Linux, server automation and scripting
- 2+ years of experience with Container technology using Docker
- 2+ years of experience with OOP concepts and modern scripting languages and frameworks
- 2+ years of database experience with Oracle or SQL Server or PostgreSQL or MongoDB
- 2+ years of experience with ITIL problem management and incident management processes
- 2+ years of experience with HP monitoring and automation tools such as Sitescope, Diagnostics, Service Manager, Operations Orchestration, or Server Automation
- 2+ years of experience with monitoring tools such as Splunk or Zabbix
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top