Senior DevOps Engineer
Plano 1 (31061), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior DevOps Engineer
As a future DevOps Engineer at Capital One:
- You are passionate about working on cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering solutions on an aggressive schedule.
- You aren't satisfied with status quo, and regularly look for creative ways to solve problems and help your team meet commitments.
- You are insatiably curious - you ask why, you explore, and you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea.
- You love learning new technologies and sharing them with your team.
- You have a keen interest in using any and all appropriate tools, especially Cloud-based and Open Sourced, to solve the problem at hand.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills, due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering teams to solve complex business problems together.
- You use your experience and leadership skills to motivate your teammates to deliver high quality results in a fast-paced work environment.
What you'll be doing:
- Work within a team of like-minded professionals to plan, deploy, and maintain critical business applications in a production cloud environment.
- Design and implement appropriate environments for those applications, engineer suitable release management procedures and provide production support.
- Influence other teams and broader Engineering groups in adopting Cloud technologies, processes, and best practices.
- Redesign legacy applications for Cloud implementation.
- Automate the provisioning of environments: cooking up some recipes with Chef or Ansible, and deploying environments using containers, like Docker.
- Design and develop automation workflows, perform unit tests and conduct review to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assess the overall quality of delivered components.
- Frequent technologies used in this role would be: AWS, Chef, Docker, Linux Shell Scripting, Bash Scripting, and Jenkins.
- Troubleshooting problems, involving the appropriate resources and driving resolution of issues with a focus on minimizing impact to our customers.
- Provide on-call support and possibly some after-hours work as needed.
- Participate in the Agile DevOps design, development, testing, and release of new capabilities and features with focus on release and post-production support.
- Represent production support for the suite of apps in the domain in Agile stand-ups, planning sessions and deployment activities.
- Drive improvements to processes and design enhancements to automation to continuously improve the production environment.
- Identify reoccurring issues and work with IT & Business partners to remediate using the problem management process.
- Coordinates, approves, and/or performs changes to the production environment.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience.
- At least 5 years of software development experience.
- At least 1 year of experience implementing automated environment delivery.
- At least 1 year of developing automation workflows and routines.
- At least 1 year of experience in a large-scale, high volume and high availability critical system implementation.
- At least 1 year of experience in infrastructure design, implementation and delivery.
- At least 1 year of experience working with Agile Development practices.
- At least 1 year of experience with web services architecture.
- Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering.
- Certified AWS Architect.
- Experience with Open Source tools such as Chef and Jenkins.
- 3+ years of experience Production Support experience in Unix and Windows environments.
- 3+ years of experience in technology delivery in a DevOps environment.
- 3+ years of experience with Linux, server automation and scripting.
- 1+ year of experience with Container technology using Docker.
- 3+ years of experience with OOP concepts and 3+ years of experience with modern scripting languages and frameworks.
- 2+ years of database experience with Oracle or SQL Server or PostgreSQL or MongoDB.
- 2+ years of experience with ITIL problem management and incident management processes.
- 2+ years of experience with HP monitoring and automation tools such as Sitescope, Diagnostics, Service Manager, Operations Orchestration, or Server Automation.
- 2+ years of experience with monitoring tools such as Splunk or Zabbix.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top