Senior Design Strategist, Garage
Plano Town Center (31064), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Design Strategist, Garage
We want to change the way people engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It's audacious work at a massive scale. The Garage innovation design team experiments, coaches, and inspires our Financial Services division in Plano, Texas to help customers navigate life's biggest decisions with ease and confidence, while fulfilling Capital One's goal to change banking for good.
The Garage supports four key businesses: Consumer Auto, Dealer Auto, Mortgages, and Home Equity, in addition to providing services for the division itself.
Join our team in creating the financial products and services for people that will redefine banking as we know it today. As a Design Strategist, you will be working with UX designers, product managers, business analysts and technology developers to shape the banking experiences of over 60 million customers. As both a maker with a passion for your craft and a strategic thinker with big ideas for the future, you will help lead a cultural shift across the enterprise to marry the analytical with the creative. You will represent a different way of working – human-centered and iterative – by collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to take on our toughest business challenges and define compelling solutions for customers.
As a Senior Design Strategist on this team, you will:
- Lead teams and multiple projects through discovery, synthesis, ideation, design, and testing of new product and service concepts to drive business intent and outcomes.
- Build and develop a team of design strategists that can adapt to regularly changing business context
- Translate insights and strategy into concept prototypes to communicate your vision through your artifacts.
- Adapt and create new methodologies (design research, work-session facilitation, prototyping) to deliver to project objectives and changing business contexts.
- Drive strategic consideration of the desired customer experience through frameworks, portfolio/product prioritization, roadmaps, etc.
- Provide design/UX direction for development, testing, and refinement of digital and service prototypes
- Use visual and tangible storytelling to share your discoveries, influence stakeholders and create energy around an idea or an initiative
- Define workstreams and engagement scope to reveal the rich, holistic picture of the challenge at hand through a balanced understanding of human / business / technical perspectives
- Leverage your generative work style: you can visualize and prototype rapidly in multiple mediums for interaction at different levels of fidelity (e.g. physical, digital, sketches, wireframes)
- Provide team leadership in building relationships with business and design partners in our line of business, demonstrating strong project management, and managing the team's evolving portfolio of work.
You're a good fit if you:
- Are comfortable navigating highly-regulated industries
- Are excited to work with multidisciplinary teams and adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Use design to communicate complex concepts simply and always strive to make things tangible, whether they're conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends and are up for the challenge of bringing new technologies to a conservative industry
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 7 years of experience in design strategy, UX design, communication design, or industrial design
- At least 2 years of experience leading teams
- Master's degree in Design or Business
- Strong expertise in human-centered design and design thinking tools and methods
- Experience with a digital product & services company
- Experience working in a highly-regulated industry
- Experience in developing others as direct reports and/or through mentorship
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top