Senior Design Strategist
201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Design Strategist
On the Digital Enterprise team, you will be at the forefront of Capital One's efforts to reimagine how over 60 million customers experience the future of financial services. As a Design Strategist, you will be working with UX designers, product managers, business analysts, technology developers, and business leaders to shape our most important digital assets, and pave the way for new experiences across lines of business. As both a maker with a passion for your craft and a strategic thinker with big ideas for the future, you will help lead a cultural shift across the enterprise to marry the analytical with the creative. You will represent a different way of working – human-centered and iterative – by collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to take on our toughest business challenges and define compelling solutions for customers.
As a Sr. Design Strategist on this team you will:
- Lead teams and multiple projects through discovery, synthesis, ideation, design, and testing of new product and service concepts to drive business intent and outcomes.
- Adapt and create new methodologies (design research, work-session facilitation, prototyping) to deliver to project objectives and changing business contexts.
- Develop frameworks, portfolio/product prioritization, roadmaps, etc. that help drive strategic consideration of the desired customer experience.
- Provide design/UX direction for development, testing, and refinement of digital and service prototypes.
- Use visual and tangible storytelling tools to share your discoveries, influence stakeholders, and create energy around an idea or an initiative
- Define work streams and scope to reveal the rich, holistic picture of the challenge at hand through a balanced understanding of human / business / technical perspectives.
- Be the voice of the customer in business strategy and planning meetings.
You're a good fit if you:
- Understand that good design balances user, business, and technical feasibility needs
- Are comfortable navigating highly regulated industries
- Have experience using design to drive business intent and outcomes
- Are adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Use design to communicate complex concepts simply and always strive to make things tangible, whether they're conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends and are up for the challenge of bringing new technologies to a conservative industry
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience in design strategy, UX design, communication design, or industrial design.
- At least 2 years of experience leading teams
- Master's degree in design
- Strong expertise in human-centered design and design thinking tools and methods
- Experience with a digital product & services company
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry
Travel: 25% - 40%
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top