Senior Design Manager
Plano Town Center (31064), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Design Manager
We're seeking an engaging Senior Design Manager who is passionate about the field of user experience, has developed and managed large-scale programs, and has excellent communication skills. Our Design Managers are an integral part of the design team and have a big impact on the work we do.
We're looking for someone who can flex from being very strategic to very tactical and from being very creative to pragmatic and analytical.
To join our team, you will need to have a strong background in design management for digital product and/or omni-channel service experiences. You have a broad set of skills in program management, but you have a passion and depth in specific areas of practice that set you apart from the pack. You have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an "anything's possible" mindset. You are capable of managing the full design process from framing/reframing problems, to guiding conceptual solutions, and to helping deliver experiences that benefit our customers and employees.
What You'll Bring + Do:
- Guide the design process for complex products and services from concept to delivery
- Partner with Design, Product, and Tech Directors to prioritize initiatives
- Partner with Design Director to coordinate resources
- Build relationships across the organization within design, product, and tech
- Oversee the strategic and tactical prioritization of design initiatives and workflows
- Support scoping new initiatives
- Communicate program status and metrics to the design senior leadership team and ensure appropriate communication of status, issues, forecasts, etc. to stakeholders
- Facilitate shaping and managing balanced, effective design teams
- Monitor and balance overall project health and team satisfaction
- Maintain project momentum keeping the project and team on track
- Manage budgets and forecasting
- Determine and implement process improvements
- Knowledge sharing across Capital One
- Perform other related duties as required
Desired Skills and Experience:
We are looking for someone who has experience managing projects and programs in our kind of environment or somewhere similar. Strong communication and writing skills, sincerity, and a sense of humor are key in our highly collaborative approach. Our design managers must also be comfortable with ambiguity in the face of design challenges and know how to move toward the right solution as part of a team.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of experience with Project Management
- At least 5 years of experience managing direct reports
- At least 5 years of experience working within the Digital Industry
- Master's degree
- 5 years of experience in presenting to peers, management and stakeholders
- 5 years of experience working with Business Relationship Management
- 5 years of experience with the Project Management tool-set
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top