Senior Database/AWS Engineer
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Database/AWS Engineer
This position is for a Senior Database Engineer role supporting our corporate Risk, Finance, and Treasury organization. We currently have legacy systems in SQL Server and Oracle, but are looking to change the mix as we move to a technology driven organization with a focus on the cloud and open source.
To be successful in this position, you will not only need to have command of traditional database technologies and associated administration work, but will also need to have the proven ability and desire to learn new technologies, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), scripting for data analytics, and integration with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Redshift.
- Lead and develop sustainable data driven solutions with current new gen data technologies to meet the needs of our organization and business customers
- Ability to grasp / master new technologies rapidly as needed to progress varied initiatives
- Able to breakdown complex data issues and resolve them
- Builds robust systems with an eye on the long-term maintenance and support of the application
- Looks to leverage reusable code modules to solve problems across the team and organization
- Helps drive cross team design and influencing / development via technical leadership/mentoring
- Influence cross team/matrix organization
- Broader knowledge sharing
- Provide technical guidance to team members
- Understands complex multi-tier, multi-platform systems
- Bachelors Degree or Military Experience
- At least 3 years of experience in configuring, managing, and troubleshooting PostgreSQL or SQL Server or Oracle or Redshift.
- At least 3 years of experience with database backup and recovery, including implementing disaster recovery standards
- At least 2 years of experience in AWS cloud computing platform migrating databases to Amazon RDS & EC2
- At least 2 years of experience developing in Python or R or Ruby or Ansible or Chef
- At least 5 years of experience with database design, optimization, and tuning
- At least 2 years of experience using Github
- At least 2 years of experience in continuous integration and development methodologies tools
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 2+ years of experience in an Agile development environment with experience with Version One/Jira,
- Experience translating business requirements to an IT solution.
- 5+ years of experience in AWS cloud computing platform migrating databases (Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, RedShift) to Amazon RDS & EC2
- 1 + years of experience with PostgreSQL, Amazon Redshift, Snowflakes, and Oracle
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, and related Big Data technologies
- Experience with Treasury and/or Capital Markets business space
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top