Senior Data Engineer - Capital Markets and Analytics Technology
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Data Engineer - Capital Markets and Analytics Technology
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in data? Do you love designing and implementing business critical data management solutions? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative delivery environment? If this excites you, then keep reading!
Help us use technology to bring ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking, we're seeking a Data Engineer to mentor other engineers and provide hands-on expertise and design for the team.
In this role, your experience will help move the Data strategy for Capital Markets and Analytics Technology team forward with our digital agenda by helping design and build a data platform support Balance Sheet Management . You will work as part of an agile delivery team tasked with solving the data needs for the organization.
The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in building components for Data movement, Data Integration with other systems, in new/emerging technologies such as Amazon Web Services, implementing DevOps practices and utilizing Open Source Frameworks
AWS, Python, Cloud, Data Engineer, DevOps, Spark, Scala, REST API, Data movement, Data Integration
The Job & Expectations:
- Collaborating as part of a cross-functional Agile team to create and enhance software that enables state of the art, next generation Big Data applications
- Build data APIs and data delivery services that support critical operational and analytical applications for our internal business operations, customers and partners
- Utilizing programming languages like Python, Java, Scala, and databases such AWS Redshift, Aurora, Open Source RDBMS and NoSQL databases like PostgreSQL
- Developing and deploying distributed computing Big Data applications using Open Source frameworks like Apache Spark, Flink and Kafka on AWS Cloud
- Develop and implement data-enabling software utilizing open source frameworks or projects such as Spring, Angular JS
- Leveraging DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, Ansible, , Git and Docker
- Research and explore new technology patterns and frameworks when existing enterprise frameworks are not sufficient to meet customer needs.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in an unstructured environment where you're empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting edge technologies to accomplish your goals.
- Data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools or underlying algorithms.
- You geek out over obscure sports statistics. You ponder what drove your streaming music service's algorithms to accurately predict that you'd like the song you're listening to. Nate Silver asks you who's going to win the next election. You love data.
- You get a thrill out of using large data sets, some slightly messy, to answer real-world questions.
- You yearn to be a part of cutting-edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule.
- You love building and leading teams to deliver world class solutions in a fun and rewarding environment.
- You are passionate about learning new technologies and mentoring more junior resources.
- Humor and fun are a natural part of your flow.
#ilovedata #bigdata #datawarehousing #transforminganalytics
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management of Information Systems or military experience
- At least 3 years of hands on work experience in developing, deploying, testing in AWS architecture
- At least 4 years of professional work experience delivering big data solutions
- At least 4 years of professional work experience delivering data management
- At least 4 years of professional work experience delivering data warehousing
- At least 2 years of professional work experience delivering Software Solutions within an Agile delivery environment
- Master's Degree in Information Systems or Computer Science
- 2+ years experience with the Hadoop stack (MapReduce, Spark, Pig, Hive, Hbase, Sqoop)
- 2+ years experience delivering Java based software solutions
- 4+ years experience in at least one scripting language (Python, Scala)
- 4+ years experience developing software solutions to solve business problems
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top