Senior Commercial Credit Officer, Middle Market Bank
Locations: Sales - TX - Houston, United States of America, Houston, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Commercial Credit Officer, Middle Market Bank
This candidate will be part of the Credit Risk Management organization, operating in a high-profile and organizationally flat environment responsible for the due diligence, structuring and approval of loans submitted by Underwriters from various lending areas. The Middle Market Bank Senior Credit Officer ("MMB SCO") will work proactively with the Underwriters and Relationship Management teams to analyze, structure, adjudicate, and legally document credit exposures. The MMB SCO is accountable for the monitoring and credit approval process for assigned portfolios, is expected to closely track the performance of existing exposures, and should have a forward looking view of portfolio performance. The successful SCO will have a deep understanding of the intricacies of Cash Flow and Asset Based lending, into multiple industries, and be able to proactively anticipate and incorporate changes in risk sentiments into our lending practices.
Approval authority is delegated solely to the Senior Credit Officer in the 2nd line of defense who mentors and works proactively with Underwriters in the 1st line. This individual will have experience through various credit cycles with underwriting, structuring, covenanting, risk-rating and pricing simple and complex commercial loan transactions. The individual will have a thorough understanding of credit principles and have mastered the technical requirements of analysis. In addition to the technical proficiency required, the candidate will also be expected to exhibit good judgment in decision making and be an inclusive and collaborative partner with the 1st line.
- Identify the key historical (and future) credit (and non-credit) risks related to a specific transaction.
- Provide front-end structuring guidance to business partners and negotiate acceptable solutions that prudently balance risk and return.
- Develop a well-informed and forward-looking view of the business and the expected volatility of the collateral being financed.
- Be a Strategic Partner with the Line of Business as they develop new credit products and evaluate new asset classes.
Manage Credit Approval Process:
- Ensure all credit exposures and deal renewals/amendments are approved in accordance with Underwriting Standards and are appropriately Risk Rated.
- Review Credit Approval Memos and approve a credit structure appropriate for the risk profile of the Borrower; Provide "credible challenge" on each transaction approved.
- Review transaction documentation, as appropriate, to ensure terms are appropriate and consistent with credit approval.
On-going Portfolio Management:
- Continuously monitor the credit quality of transactions in assigned portfolio.
- Ensure annual reviews are well documented and risk ratings are accurate and are based on a forward-looking view.
- Identify deteriorating credits and take appropriate action to mitigate risk; Partner with Special Assets team to transition troubled accounts as needed
- Collaborate with the Business as a Subject Matter Expert on regulatory and/or compliance requirements.
- Experience in building support to gain acceptance and buy-in on credit decisions in a collaborative environment
- Ability to partner across business lines and work with the lending and underwriting teams
- Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
- At least 7 years of experience with commercial banking, corporate banking or secured lending
- Successfully completed formal credit training program or equivalent corporate banking
- At least 5 years of relationship management experience
- At least 7 years of commercial or corporate lending or other credit intensive experience
- 10 years of experience with commercial/corporate banking or secured lending
- 7 years of relationship management experience
- 10 years of commercial/corporate lending or other credit intensive experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top