Senior Business Manager, Technology Strategy
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Business Manager, Technology Strategy
Capital One is a leading digital bank, and technology is at the center of everything we do. It powers the customer experience of millions of customers and supports millions of customer interactions and financial transactions every day. We therefore consider ourselves a technology company and not a traditional bank.
The Technology Strategy team is the internal consulting team that supports the CIO and his leadership team in developing strategic technology initiatives to drive transformational business change. Some examples of the work that the team has driven include the Cloud Computing Strategy, the Big Data strategy, and the annual Enterprise Technology Strategy presented to the Board of Directors. In addition, the team is assessing the opportunities and threats of emerging technologies like distributed ledger technology, advanced analytics & machine learning, the Internet-of-Things, and next-generation human computer interfaces, including virtual & augmented reality.
As a Senior Manager on the Technology Strategy team, you will be:
- Meeting with senior business and technology leaders of the company to understand business challenges and priorities, and discuss potential strategic options
- Working with subject matter experts across the business and technology organizations to structure problems and develop solution options and recommendations
- Building qualitative and quantitative models to assess options, and estimate benefits and required investments for implementation
- Conducting research on emerging technologies, and assessing their impact (opportunities and threats) on Capital One's business
- Developing strategic ideas to leverage technology to solve business problems and enable new business opportunities
- Building storylines and presentations to socialize strategies and build consensus, in order to drive transformational change
An ideal candidate would have:
- Curiosity: You ask why, you explore, you want to learn and build deep expertise in technology as well as business.
- Creativity: You come up with unconventional ideas and are comfortable sharing them in larger meetings. You push the boundaries and don't let yourself be constrained by the status quo.
- Problem solving: You are comfortable with ambiguity and can create structure where none exists. You have a proven track record of decision making and problem solving based on qualitative and quantitative analytics.
- Presence and communication: You have a strong presence and can communicate your ideas in a concise and compelling way.
- Influencing: You have strategic influencing skills and the ability to drive agreement through intellect, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Big picture thinking: You always have the big picture in mind. If required, you can go deep to develop a sound implementation approach.
- Technology experience: Previous experience with technology strategy development, architecture, or technology delivery is a plus.
- Consulting or strategy development experience: Previous experience in consulting or strategy development is a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience in quantitative analysis
- At least 2 years of experience in qualitative analysis
- At least 1 year of experience in project management
- Master's Degree
- 5+ years of experience in quantitative analysis
- 5+ years of experience in qualitative analysis
- 2+ years of experience in people management
- 2+ years of experience in product development
- 2+ years of experience in financial modeling
- 2+ years of experience in economic forecasting
- 2+ years of experience in project management
- 2+ years of experience in consulting
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top