Senior Associate Product Manager
West Creek 5 (12075), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Associate Product Manager
Capital One offers industry-leading credit cards, checking accounts, savings accounts, brokerage accounts, car loans, and other financial products that are central to the way that more than 65 million people live every day. Making payments is integral to managing their money.
Capital One's Enterprise Payments team is defining the roadmap for the bank's overall digital payments strategy, modernizing existing payment types and introducing the latest innovations. In an industry rooted in mainframe systems and batch processes, we are driving toward a cloud-based, API/microservice architected, real-time data environment. The world is moving toward faster payments and Capital One is not just ahead of the curve, but defining it. We are a high-tech company and an innovation laboratory within the only founder-led top 10 bank in the U.S.
The Sr. Associate Product Manager for the Enterprise Payments team plays a critical role in achieving our goals. This is a highly collaborative role, where the individual will work closely with a team of product managers and analysts as well partnering with designers, engineers, data scientists, operations, and directly with our clients to transform the experience for all of our customers. Through this collaboration, the individual will shape the product strategy and then develop, launch, and enhance payments experiences that will meet the unique needs of our customers, ranging from consumer to small business to commercial personas.
Your product forms a key cornerstone of Capital One's payments experience - blending digital design with backend integration to provide our internal and external customers the ability to transact in real time with straight through processing. To fit the bill, you will need to have deep passion for Payments along with product centric thinking that analyzes problems, develops simple and intuitive solutions and then working with our agile teams to deliver those user experiences on the latest technologies. You'll need to be equally comfortable navigating the development with our tech partners as you are communicating user experience, operational fulfillment and risk with our business partners.
What will you do?
The successful candidate will flex between playing the Product Manager "exploration" role and the Product Owner "execution" role. You will leverage your design thinking skills to find creative and targeted solutions to our end users needs, to create a game changing user experience in the Payments Industry. You will also have full Product Owner authority for a critical agile team to bring this UX to life, co-located with the team(s) in Richmond, VA. You will own the following:
- Work in a hands-on, collaborative environment with top designers, engineers, data scientists, and analysts to build breakthrough experiences and products
- Participate in Design Thinking, Agile, and LEAN rituals which establish rhythm for the team, promote ongoing communication, and iterative refinement of roadmaps
- Work closely with business partners across the enterprise to ensure your product functionally solves their needs, in the agreed upon timelines for implementation
- Regularly and systematically use data to uncover opportunities, track product performance, and drive decision making
- Partner with other PdMs and POs in performing prioritization of work based on product vision and use cases presented from across the enterprise.
- Manage and groom the backlog of stories for assigned agile delivery teams.
- Sit embedded with the tech team, working with them to resolve doubts, and prioritize, negotiate and remove blockers to orchestrate successful launch or optimization cycle
- Serve as subject matter expert, contributing practitioner, thought leader
What we are looking for:
- Execution focused - Results-oriented with a "can do" attitude and a bias for action
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable and passionate around agile product management, with the goal of delivering breakthrough consumer experiences
- Understanding of Scrum and/or Scaled Agile Framework process and best practices
- Knowledge and some experience in leveraging Design Thinking and Human Centered Design concepts to build elegant digital experiences to meet customer needs
- Proven experience executing a transformational product strategy while successfully tackling ambiguity independently
- Strong communication, facilitation, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and passion for emerging technologies and how they are used to empower developers and businesses to deliver great products.
- Analytical problem solver who can clearly identify, analyze, and resolve issues as they arise
- A high level of intellectual curiosity and comfort with ambiguity
- Collaborative, team player attitude with the ability to navigate and influence the organization
- Ideally - electronic payments experience, with a passion for existing and emerging payment rails
- At least 1 year of experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver consumer or commercial experiences and core product platforms that power those experiences
- Design thinking proficiency
- Familiarity with open APIs and/or AWS Cloud technologies
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience in digital product management
- At least 1 year of experience in Agile development
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in Agile product management using Scrum and SAFe methodologies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top