Senior Associate, Data Science
Plano 6 (31066), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Associate, Data Science
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
Here in Dallas, we are supporting our Financial Services division by using data science to improve our mortgage, home equity, and auto loan businesses.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in distributed computing technologies and operating across massive datasets to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and difficulty in their financial lives.
On any given day you'll be:
- Designing and implementing advanced models and analytics to self-disrupt and change the way we work, creating massive business and customer value in the process
- Collaborating with team members to build machine learning and artificial intelligence solutions from development through testing and validation
- Working with the latest open source tools, libraries, platforms, and languages to explore large, complex, and dynamic data sources for relationships and actionable insights
- Investigating the impact of new technologies on the future of digital banking and financial services
The Ideal Candidate will be:
- Technical: You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions, from concept to production, and selecting the right tool for the job at hand. You understand modern cloud computing. You have experience prototyping and implementing data science solutions in an enterprise. You know R, Scala, or Python.
- Curious. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your disruptive idea. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies.
- Wrangler. You know how to programmatically extract data from a database and an API, bring it through a transformation or two, and model it into human-readable form.
- Creative. Big, undefined problems and petabytes of data don't frighten you. You're used to working with abstract data, and you love discovering new narratives in unmined territories.
Twenty-five years after Capital One was started it's still led by its founder. Be ready to join a community of the smartest people you've ever met, who see the customer first, and want to use their data skills to make a difference.
- Bachelor's Degree in a "STEM" major (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) or military experience
- At least 1 year of coding experience in open source programming languages such as R, Python, or Scala
- At least 1 year of experience developing data science solutions leveraging one of more of the following: operations research, natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, video/image analysis, or time-series analysis.
- Master's Degree or PhD in a "STEM" major (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math)
- Experience working with AWS, Azure, or similar cloud platform
- At least 2 years' experience in Python, Scala, or R
- At least 2 years' experience developing data science solutions leveraging one of more of the following: operations research, natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, video/image analysis, or time-series analysis.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top