Route Switch Engineer
Plano 2 (31062), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Route Switch Engineer
Do you possess strong to advanced knowledge of route/switch technologies and implementations across data center, enterprise, and cloud environments? You will primarily function as a lead routing / switching engineer in a project capacity. Activities will include working with architecture to integrate new technologies into the existing production environment; gathering requirements, developing designs to meet documented requirements, and implementing those designs; and developing / presenting training curriculums and mentoring less experienced engineers. Project engineers function as 4th tier critical resources for operational incidents. You should have experience with and a strong knowledge of network engineering and design development, problem troubleshooting and resolution, and change management. You will also be expected to drive your own technical development, strive to expand your skillset by learning new technologies, and seeks opportunities to advance and improve the enterprise infrastructure.
- Design and implement LAN/WAN topologies and connectivity.
- Tier 4 critical issue resource for incident resolution.
- Consult with various technology support groups as part of network design and development efforts.
- Identify gaps in current design and research / propose appropriate solutions based on technical and business drivers.
- Take initiative and a leadership role in identifying and driving compelling optimization or technology upgrade opportunities.
- Lead/contribute to enterprise network strategy/solutions development and technology refresh efforts.
- Provide input to network enterprise design standards and maintain network topology diagrams.
- Participate in technology integration efforts with other engineering and support teams.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements.
- Ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
- Lead and Govern relationships with technology vendors utilized in the enterprise network.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to junior personnel.
- Ability to participate in an on-call rotation
Does this describe you? If so you may be just the person we want to talk to!
- Possess high proficiency with troubleshooting a wide range of Cisco Nexus and IOS based platforms and associated technologies (Spanning Tree, MPLS, GETVPN, Policy Based Routing, QoS, and OSPF), Fabric Path, and various Data Center Technologies (vPC, VDC, and FCOE).
- Demonstrate a detailed and methodical approach to implementation and problem solving scenarios.
- Possess advanced proficiency with design, implementation, and troubleshooting of enterprise BGP deployments.
- Exhibit a foundational understanding of MPLS architecture, deployment strategies, and traffic manipulation.
- Possess extensive experience deploying public cloud infrastructure services such as Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.
- Ability to efficiently lead the design, configuration and support of datacenter, campus and remote network infrastructure.
- Encompasses the technical abilities and proficiency to leverage network management tools and perform packet analysis during incident/problem resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to represent the team well and effectively communicate technical information to a variety of individuals and groups.
- Possess excellent time management skills and the ability to work in a flexible work environment and across distributed teams as needed.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent certification or military experience.
- At least 10 years of experience in all technical aspects of switching and router implementation.
- At least 7 years of experience in network support or at least 5 years of network engineering experience in a large enterprise network.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
- CCNP Cloud certification or any CCIE written w/ lab
- 5 years of experience as a technical lead in a large enterprise network
- 10 years of experience in IT projects
- 10 years of experience in IT infrastructure
- 10 years of experience in all technical aspects of routing and switching implementation
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top