Product Owner - Payments
West Creek 5 (12075), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Product Owner - Payments
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We were the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we have been innovating relentlessly ever since. Today we are a high-tech company and a nationally recognized brand all in one, that reaches tens of millions of consumers. We are a passionate and entrepreneurial team that embraces bold ideas, fosters collaboration and delivers great consumer experiences.
We are selectively recruiting for a Product Owner to lead the development and management of Shared Payment Services within our enterprise Payments Value Stream that will form the cornerstone of Capital One's payments experience - blending digital design with backend integration to provide our internal and external customers the ability to transact in real time with straight through processing. To fit the bill, you will need to have deep passion for payments along with experience in building robust payment platforms on the latest technologies with simple and intuitive user experiences. You'll also need to be equally comfortable talking to techies in our sprint teams as you are communicating with our analytically- and risk- minded bankers.
What will you do?
The candidate will have full Product Owner authority for critical agile teams within the Payments Value Stream as part of our Payment Shared Service / API and cloud migration journey. This leader will be co-located with the agile teams in the Richmond, VA area and with work with the Banking Operations teams as well as Product Managers & Product Owners across the Payments value chain to design, build, test and deliver all associated product features and associated user stories. The candidate is expected to work closely with operations teams, other product managers and technology teams across the enterprise, and you will own the following:
- Partner with Product Managers to set the program vision/roadmap
- Define, prioritize and groom agile delivery teams' backlogs
- Create differentiated payment experiences for customers using design thinking and lean UX principles
- Participate in Product Management team development
- Act as customer proxy/liaison between payment operations, business and the technology team
- Meet customer needs while maintaining technical integrity
- Participate in meetings with Director+ level resources across Ops, Product, and IT
- Create clear and compelling communications and presentations (PowerPoint, etc.)
On any given day in our group you'll be:
- Empowered. Owning the success and life cycle of end-to-end payment experiences (such as payment initiation and smart routing), setting its strategy and driving towards improvements to your KPIs
- Learning constantly. Work deeply with customers, product managers, technologists and operations experts in building cutting edge solutions to meet customer payment needs
- Innovating relentlessly. Pushing big change by starting small, testing, and learning your way to something new.
- Sharing openly. Telling stories that change the way people think about building products and solving problems, and that illustrate the power of what software can do to make their lives and our customers' lives better
- Managing Payment Risk. Building tools to facilitate the movement of millions of payments across the bank. Building technology solutions to enables our customers to move money quickly and safely
- Connecting creatively. Jumpstarting a self-supporting community by sowing the right seeds, building the right tools, and integrating the right off-the-shelf products
- Succeeding strategically. Solving the right problem, and holding on the wrong one. Getting big by starting small
What we are looking for:
- Electronic payments and/or Commercial Banking Experience
- Hands on knowledge of Payment Hubs, Open APIs and/or AWS Cloud technologies
- Expertise in International and US Domestic Wires payments is desirable.
- Knowledge of other payment rails such as ACH, Zelle, Faster Payments and emerging payment technologies is a plus
- Experience in the development of payments capabilities including Wire, ACH, Check or emerging payments such as Zelle and TCH RTP
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable and passionate around agile product management, with the goal of delivering breakthrough consumer experiences
- Analytical problem solver who can clearly identify, analyze, and resolve issues as they arise
- Deep Payment Operations knowledge and experience
- Understanding of Scrum and Scaled Agile Framework process and best practices
- Working knowledge of digital products and continuous integration solutions
- Process improvement, relationship management, critical thinking, technical writing, facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate at all levels
- Execution focused - Results-oriented with a "can do" attitude
- Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work as well as the work of your team(s)
- Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time
- Knowledge and some experience in leveraging Design Thinking and Human Centered Design concepts to build elegant digital experiences to meet customer needs
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience in digital product management
- At least 1 year of experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver consumer experiences and core product platforms that power those experiences
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 1+ years of experience in Agile product management using Scrum and SAFe methodologies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top