1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Product Design for Consumer Bank
Did you know there are probably more banks than gas stations in your neighborhood? When you hear the term bank, do you think of large, marble facades and tellers behind counters? At Capital One, we know that a bank is more than a building. We're working hard to create the future of how people connect and interact with their money.
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We were the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we have been innovating relentlessly ever since. Today, we are a high-tech company, a scientific laboratory, and a nationally recognized brand all in one. We are a passionate and entrepreneurial team with heart - a team that embraces bold ideas, fosters collaboration, and delivers world-class products and services impacting over 65 million customer accounts.
As aProduct Designer on the Digital team, you will work closely with other designers, developers, product managers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how people interact with their money - you will identify opportunities for change, ideate on concepts, advocate for the needs of our customers, and lead design from empathy to iteration to deliver human-centered solutions.
About the Role
Product Designers at Capital One have a passion for solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and feel comfortable advocating for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a passion for learning. They are capable of generating ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an "anything is possible" mindset. They take pride in their work and yet they have a humble approach. They are able to contribute as a designer from end-to-end on projects, which means they are comfortable as researchers, data scientists, strategists, and designers. They employ design thinking methods to uncover insights that help inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and feel comfortable presenting their design decisions in front of colleagues and stakeholders.
Transactions and Money Movement
The core of how customers interact with their money starts with our team. We help facilitate how customers move money between accounts, how they understand their transactions and most importantly how they feel about their everyday finances. Our team's goal is not just to create a great online banking experience but also to support a customer's understanding of how they're doing financially.
Here's where you come in!
You will be asked to join a passionately driven team whose sole focus is to redefine, solve and change what humanity means to banking. You will help your team deliver a world-class product that will redefine our customer's day to day banking activities.
In this role, you will:
• Collaborate with other designers, product managers, and developers on research activities, strategy, ideation, concepts, final design, and testing of new product concepts
• Build empathy and be an advocate for our customers through participation in human-centered research and design
• Translate user needs, existing design systems, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems
• Contribute improvements back to our existing design system to help it grow and evolve.
• Present findings and design concepts to designers, product and development partners
• Support the development team in providing interaction flows, design assets, feedback and visual QA.
• BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. graphic, interaction, visual communications, product), or a related field or equivalent practical experience
• At least 5-6 years of experience with visual/UI design, user experience design and shipping products
• Strong portfolio of UI/visual design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration
• Strong storytelling capabilities; an ability to weave ideas into a compelling narrative
• Excellent problem-solving and client management skills
• 5+ years' experience with standard digital design tools, e.g. Sketch, InVision, Suite, etc
• 5+ years of experience with visual design
• Interest in motion design or animation
• Interest in iconography and illustration
• 2+ years of experience with user experience design
• 2+ years of experience designing digital products or omni-channel services
• 2+ years of experience with information architecture
• 1+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity to ar ticulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation
• Working knowledge of human-centered design principles (e.g. Design Thinking)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top