McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
We're the bank millions of customers choose to spend with, save with, and invest in. And behind every one of those customer relationships are thousands of associates working in concert to run the business. Some of those associates are also dedicated to inventing new ways of operating, so we can create even better experiences for our customers. That's where you come in.
Our Global Finance organization is accountable for knowing how every transaction, regulation, and investment impacts Capital One and our customers. Imagine being a designer responsible for inventing systems that dramatically shift how our company's finance associates do their work; how quickly and accurately they see changes, answer questions, and make data-informed decisions to support our customers and our company.
That's what this role is about; as a Principal Product Designer you'll be responsible for designing useful, integrated experiences in collaboration with a group of talented, kind people whose skills span design, product, tech, and finance. Together, you are reinventing Finance for, well, a Finance organization.
As a Product Designer on the Integrated Experiences Team, you are ....
A master craftsperson.You pride yourself in confidently driving projects from strategy through execution. You've got a whole arsenal of tools and techniques at your disposal that you dispatch appropriately depending on the customer and business needs.
A systems thinker.You think larger than just the work at hand and intuitively think at the ecosystem level. You often think about scalability and adaptability across products and platforms.
Passionate.You are genuinely interested in what you do. You make it your business to know as much as you can about the people you are delivering for and advocate for their needs within the business.
A Customer Advocate. You cultivate a deep empathy for people and anticipate their needs. You help them to focus on what's essential at the moment and advocate for their best interest.
Collaborative. You're a team player who puts the interest of the team above your own. You display a positive attitude, are open and enjoy contributing, which contributes to your respected leadership on the team.
A successful juggler.You don't get overwhelmed or flustered easily. You're able to keep track of multi-projects at once, manage your time efficiently and appropriately communicate scheduling with the broader team.
A clarifying voice.You add clarity and focus to every conversation you're in, clearing a path to what really matters and helping others see things in a new, simpler light.
Excited about designing with data.You are comfortable working with data as a raw material. You think carefully about presenting it in a way that helps users focus on what's important.
Specifically, you will:
Help deliver world-class products that will redefine the very fundamentals of how we do business at Capital One.
- Build empathy and be a customer advocate in our product development process.
- Translate user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems.
- Leverage analytics tools to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making.
- Participate in workshops to facilitate co-creation, alignment, and understanding.
Here's what you'll need to be successful:
You have worked in a product group focusing on web or mobile applications for a few years; in and around designers, product managers and engineers - and love it. You thrive being the person responsible for delivering improved experiences.
- Demonstrable prior experience illustrating that you were responsible for product throughout the full product lifecycle.
- You'll identify opportunities and uncover untapped needs through customer research and interaction data.
- You possess the ability to deliver on those insights by partnering with product teams to drive product vision and experience strategy.
- Working with our engineering teams, the vision you articulate will turn into simple, intuitive experiences.
- You have a demonstrated record of success inventing, designing, and launching successful features.
- You are experienced at the end-to-end design process, balancing customer insights and business goals, from strategy to shipped product as well as post launch monitoring, enhancements, and iteration.
What You'll Bring:
A portfolio that highlights strong web experience designing for data intensive applications at scale.
- Solid UI/UX experience.
- Ability to work with low fidelity and high-fidelity deliverables in agile teams.
- Experience creating prototypes that showcase design concepts and interaction patterns.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process.
- Not intimidated by current design tools, e.g., Adobe CC, Sketch, Invision, etc., or working with them to develop and complete deliverables.
- Strong storytelling capabilities; an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative.
- Experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity to articulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation using modern tools (e.g., InVision, Flinto, Pixate, UXPin,Keynote, etc).
- Excellent problem-solving and relationship management skills.
- Interest in service design with experience using service design methods.
- Ability to clearly communicate your design decisions with partners and influence the shape of the product using research, user journeys, interactive prototypes, and high-quality wireframes.
- Ability to advocate the value of Design, and inspire partners and teammates through elegant presentation and storytelling capabilities.
- At least 3 years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- At least 3 years of experience with visual UI design.
- 2+ years of experience in driving product experience vision and storytelling
- 5+ years of experience with user experience design
- 5+ years of experience designing digital products
- 2+ years of experience designing for data-intensive products
- 5+ years' experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience with information architecture
- 3+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top