Principal Software Engineer - Director
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Software Engineer - Director
Do you think about writing beautiful code while eating breakfast? Do you build applications you are proud of and want to tell your friends about? Do you get excited scaling web and mobile applications to millions of users? Do you appreciate elegant solutions but also know when to build simple first and
Capital One is seeking a Principal Director of Software Engineering to lead, manage, mentor, and build an extremely talented software engineering team to deliver a game changing customer experience across all customer touch points. He/she must have the ability to attract and recruit the industry's best talent, and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure that what we build compelling, customer oriented solutions in an iterative methodology. Success in the role requires an innovative mind, a proven track record of delivering new consumer-facing software products, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for creating market-leading software for millions of customers.
As a Principal engineer, you will own the technology agenda for driving Continuous Delivery for Enterprise APIs using latest open source frameworks / tools in Tomcat, Spring, Jersey, AWS, Docker, Chef, Ansible, Hashicorp TECH stack (Packer, Terraform, Vault) and NOSQL databases such as Cassandra.
- Be a technology evangelist and thought leader; Contributes to building Capital One's external technology brand
Provides strong leadership and direction to associates, emphasizing their technical skill development
- Own technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems
- Collaborating with other platforms tech leads to ensure integrated end-to-end design and delivery
- Work with business partners, architects, and other groups to identify technical and functional needs of system and determine priority of needs
- Proactive monitoring of applications and services
- Perform complex engineering activities for performance tuning and monitoring
- Identifying gaps and taking actions to completion
- Able to break down problems in production environment to analyze, understand and resolve
- Understands how evolving technology affects domain; stays current and leads team through new technologies
- Proven ability to recruit associates with exceptional technical and creative problem solving skills
- Evangelizes agile and drives continuous improvement in methodology and practices
- Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
- At least 10 years of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) experience using Java EE technologies for Middleware and Backend Integration
- At least 5 years of experience in developing RESTful APIs using Spring and Jersey or similar frameworks and deploying on public cloud
- At least 5 years' experience in building certified Devops pipelines using GitHub, Jenkins or Drone to drive continuous delivery of microservice workloads in the cloud
- At least 3 years' experience in managing stateful containerized Docker-based workloads in the cloud using ECS, Kubernetes, Mesos, Marathon, Swarm or Docker
- At least 3 Year experience in Database technologies SQL, No-SQL, RDS, PostgreSQL, MongoDB or DynamoDB
- At least 5 years of experience in leading and managing Engineers
- Master's degree in Computer Science
- 5 years' experience in Cloud technologies AWS, Azure, GCE, Ansible, Chef or Terraform
- 5 Years' experience in Quality Assurance technologies ATDD, Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, SoapUI or Postman
- 5 years' experience in Unix Shell Scripting
- 5 years' experience of Tuning, Performance Testing and Production Monitoring using tools HP Diagnostics, JMeter, Splunk, BlueStripe, CloudWatch or Zabbix
- 5 years' experience with scripting languages Ruby, Python or Perl
- 5 years' experience with Agile Methodologies Scrum, SAFe, and Kanban
- Certified in Java, Spring or AWS
- Contributed to Open-Source or public GitHub project
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top