Principal Software Engineer - Big Data
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Software Engineer - Big Data
We are looking for an experienced and driven individual to join our team of passionate engineers creating Capital One's next generation of data products and capabilities. As a member of the Second Look team, you will work directly on a highly-popular feature for customers using Capital One's Upmarket credit cards. Second Look analyzes both real-time credit card authorizations and batch posted charges and identifies non-fraud transactions that might deserve a 'second look,' such as if the card is double-swiped, an unusually large tip is left at a restaurant, a free trial is expiring, and other unique insights.
As a Capital One Software Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Scala or Java-based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll apply solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Apache Spark, Scala, Python, REST, NoSQL databases, relational databases, Hadoop, Ansible, Chef, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Lead and/or mentor a team of engineers
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of SDLC experience using Java EE technologies for Middleware and Backend Integration
- At least 2 years of experience with big-data technologies
- At least 2 years of experience with SQL or NoSQL database technologies
- 3+ years experience in one or more of the following Cloud technologies: AWS, Azure, OpenStack, Docker, Ansible, Chef, and Terraform
- 3+ years experience in one or more of the following Build and CICD technologies: GitHub, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Artifactory, or Sonar
- 3+ years experience in one or more of the following Quality Assurance technologies: ATDD, Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, SoapUI and Postman
- 3+ years experience with Apache Spark or Hadoop
- 3+ years experience in Unix Shell Scripting
- 2+ years experience in Scala or Python development
- 2+ years experience with one or more of the following: HP Diagnostics, JMeter, Splunk, BlueStripe, CloudWatch, and Zabbix
- 2+ years experience with one of the following Agile methodologies: Scrum, SAFe, and Kanban
- 2+ years experience in one or more of the following database technologies: SQL (PostgreSQL a plus), and No-SQL (Cassandra a plus)
- Certified in one of the following: Java, Spring or AWS technologies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top