Principal Software Engineer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Software Engineer
To be a great technology-driven company, Capital One is committed to creating outstanding products and experiences for our customers. That means using the latest technology to build and deploy applications to power our businesses across both external and internal users. Capital One's Digital Messaging Engineering team focuses on delivering leading edge technology solutions for our customer needs in various channels at massive scale.
If you're looking for a career opportunity involving:
- modern, open source technologies
- cloud scale computing
- "always-on" resiliency
- using your strong analytical and leadership skills to impact critical systems
... then you're in luck!
Capital One is hiring a Director - Solutions Architecture to join our incredible team of talented engineers. As an Architect, you will provide technical leadership for designing and implementing critical components of our enterprise messaging platform. You will work closely with key product teams framing the digital strategy and be responsible for developing prototypes and solutions to deliver on business and technology objectives.
The technology landscape is large and continually changing. So, we aren't looking for people that already know all the technologies that we use or are evaluating. Instead we are looking for people that love to learn and have a passion for experimenting and discovering better ways to build systems.
- Provide architecture and technology leadership across a range of digital and middleware technology areas
- Provide technical leadership for the design, development/implementation, and testing of business solutions, with a bias towards custom built using new technologies
- Prepare and present potential technical solutions
- Advise the business on the technical and business value of alternatives with appropriate tradeoffs
- Communicate solution approaches to peer architects, project teams and other stakeholders
- Review, analyze and evaluate market requirements, business requirements and project briefs in order to design the most appropriate end-to-end technology solutions
- Keeping up-to-date on leading edge technology, standards, protocols and tools in areas relevant to the rapidly changing digital environment
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience in computer system architecture
- At least 3 years of experience with digital application development
- At least 4 years of experience in large scale application design and development
- At least 1 year of implementation/delivery experience with RESTful APIs
- At least 1 year of experience building email, SMS, and mobile push notification solutions
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in computer system architecture
- 3+ years of communicating and driving highly complex IT solutions to broad audiences/executives, business leaders, product managers, Legal, Security, and implementation specialists
- 1+ years of experience with public cloud implementations
- 2+ years of experience in the financial services industry
- 3+ years of experience building email, SMS, and mobile push notification solutions
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top