Principal Quantitative Modeler
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Quantitative Modeler
Capital One, a Fortune 500 company and one of the nation's top 10 banks, is one of the largest, most analytically sophisticated Financial Services providers in the world. We offer a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
The risk capital team is a combination of risk management and treasury balance sheet management function. The team is responsible for calculating credit risk capital for entire Capital One balance sheet including credit card, auto finance, home loan and commercial businesses, both for fulfilling top of the house regulatory requirement and for managing individual business origination decision.
Expertise in quantitative analysis is central to our success. Successful candidates will partner cross-functionally with business teams throughout the company to deliver breakthrough analytical solutions to support a winning strategy in a continually changing business environment.
- Lead the development, enhancement and implementation of statistical and other quantitative models to support stress testing, Basel and economic capital calculations and other business applications
- Understand technical issues in econometric and statistical modeling and apply these skills toward solving business problems
- Full ownership of the model development process and relationship with the business customer: from conceptualization through data exploration, model selection and validation, implementation, business user training and support
- Develop model monitoring plan, monitor statistical model performance, and provide technical guidance to business leadership
- Identify opportunities to apply quantitative methods to improve business performance
- Communicate technical subject matter clearly and concisely to individuals from various backgrounds
- Develop quantitative modeling competencies of others within the same line of business. Teach and Mentor quantitative modelers
- Bachelor's Degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Financial Engineering or Operations Research
- At least 2 years' experience in Statistical or Econometrics hands-on work
- At least 1 year of experience with credit risk modeling or consumer behavior modeling
- At least 1 year of experience with Python, R or SAS
- Master's Degree or Doctorate in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Financial Engineering or Operations Research
- 3+ years' experience in Statistical hands-on work
- 3+ years' experience using Python
- 2+ years' experience manipulating and performing analysis with large databases
- 2+ years' experience in Credit Risk Modeling
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top