Principal Quantitative Modeler
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Quantitative Modeler
Capital One, a Fortune 500 company and one of the nation's top 10 banks, is one of the largest, most analytically sophisticated Financial Services providers in the world. We offer a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
Expertise in quantitative analysis is central to our success in all these markets. Our 100+ modelers thrive in a culture of mutual respect, excellence and innovation. We have several opportunities available for top-notch quantitative professionals.
This position is part of Capital One's Risk Management division. Successful candidates will partner cross-functionally with business throughout the company to deliver breakthrough analytical solutions to support a winning strategy in a continually changing business environment.
- Development, enhancement and implementation of statistical and other quantitative models to support loss forecasting, Basel and economic capital calculations, and other business applications
- Understanding technical issues in econometric and statistical modeling and applying these skills toward solving business problems
- Full ownership of the model development process: from conceptualization through data exploration, model selection and validation, implementation, business user training
- Monitoring statistical model performance and providing technical guidance to business leadership
- Identifying opportunities to apply quantitative methods to improve business performance
- Communicating technical subject matter clearly and concisely to individuals from various backgrounds
- Master's degree in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Financial Engineering or Operations Research
- At least 2 years' experience in Statistical or Econometrics hands-on work
- At least 2 years' experience using SAS
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics or other related fields of study
- Experience with very large datasets
- Background and experience in consumer or commercial risk, especially scoring, and forecasting models
- Ability to communicate effectively and influence others
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top