Principal Database Administrator
Locations: VA - McLean, United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Database Administrator
The Database Administrator should have advanced knowledge of databases such as (Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, DynamoDB) Including creation and implementation of fully functional Cloud databases.
- Amazon Web Services - Create/manage/optimize - EC2 instances, Cloudwatch, S3 buckets, Jenkins jobs.
- Optimize and manage RDS databases
- Optimize system and user queries' performance
- Manage complex data extract processes that supports downstream consumption
- Create/Manage Oracle Data Guard Broker processes/workflows
- Leads incident resolution efforts, participates in Incident Management activities, and engages the appropriate resources to complete corrective actions as quickly as possible
- Supports and participates in root cause analysis and Problem Management activities for continuous improvement initiatives for service improvements, incident reduction and performance enhancements.
- Coordinates Change, Release and Configuration Management activities to ensure stability and control of services in production environment
- Participates and coordinates in Project to Production integration and production testing, validations
- Participates and supports SLA and operational performance monitoring and reporting
- Implements effective Risk Management controls, owns adherence to all compliance related items (exceptions, waivers, risks, technical compliance, access control)
- Plans and participates in Disaster Recovery exercises, system failover planning and testing
- Participates and supports effective operational document management practices and controls improvements, incident reduction and performance enhancement
- Participate in agile process and analyze user requirements and, based on findings, design functional specifications for databases following database standards
- Assist in planning and implementing capacity and resource expansion to ensure scalability of company databases
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Work with agile teams and product owners to ensure database design and performance meet business requirements
- Identify inefficiencies in current databases and implement improved solutions
- Assist in planning and performing database upgrades and migrations
- Participate with a team that provides day-to-day support and maintenance for existing and new databases.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd tier, 24x7 production support
- Programming Languages/Workflows - Shell Scripting (BASH, KSH), Python, AWS (Chef, ansible, Json, Cloud Formation, Terraform, Jenkins), Oracle PL/SQL, SQL*Plus
- Oracle Enterprise Monitoring
- Oracle Data Guard Broker
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiatives and conduct research into database issues, standards, and products independently
- Strong time management skills, able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and balance priorities
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Bachelor's Degree in the field of computer science, information systems or computer engineering
- At least 3 years of database experience
- At least 3 years experience developing, installing, configuring, tuning and supporting database environments
- At least 2 years experience with Oracle and PostgreSQL
- At least 2 years experience with data storage, data modeling and data access patterns
- AWS Certifications: Solutions Architect Associate, Developer Associate or SysOps Admin Associate
- 3+ years experience Linux/Unix shell scripting
- 3+ years working with Oracle Databases
- 2+ years of AWS cloud experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top