Principal Associate, Communications - Technology
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Associate, Communications - Technology
Capital One is looking for a PR professional to support external communications efforts focused on Capital One's technology programs, people and partnerships.
As a Principal Associate on our Technology Communications team, you will be part of a talented team providing support for public relations and external communications efforts focused on Capital One's efforts to invest in tech - from initiatives aimed to empower more girls and women in STEM careers to partnerships with leading nonprofits and academic institutions focused on emerging technology trends and issues.
We're looking for candidates with experience:
- Supporting thoughtful, creative communications initiatives focused on technology, culture, diversity and inclusion, and social impact
- Building relationships with and leveraging a wide network of academic, media and influencer relationships across the technology ecosystem
- Building relationships within technology communities of practice
- Monitoring and measuring media coverage
Candidates should have strong written and verbal communication skills, expertise in relationship-building, experience with event planning, solid understanding of and experience working with traditional and social media, experience monitoring and measuring news coverage, engaging professional presence, strong attention to detail, and solid project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at once.
- Support PR initiatives to drive awareness of Capital One's technology programs, people, culture and partnerships.
- Strengthen and leverage Capital One's relationships with key academic, nonprofit, and media influencers;
- Support interviews and other interactions with external media by providing counsel, messaging support, and media training as needed;
- Write and edit communications content, including thought leadership blogs, press releases, social content, and other communications documents;
- Develop and coordinate pitches to place positive stories in technology and business media as aspect of communications strategy;
- Develop a roster of speaking engagements and event opportunities for participation; and manage executive training and briefing needs;
- Build event plans and manage media and community events;
- Manage the monitoring and measurement for technology communications;
- Assess risks, issues, and potential communications problems and provide proactive solutions;
- Work effectively in cross-functional teams to advance external communications strategy; ensure communication strategy is consistent and reflects the brand's strategic vision
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Proven track record for supporting successful communications programs;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of PR, thought leadership;
- Experience in coordinating media relations activities with media including press releases, events, and interviews;
- Strong written/verbal communications skills (writing samples required);
- Ability to present complex subject matter in a clear, concise, and compelling manner;
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills, analytical talent and attention to detail;
- Proven ability to work effectively with multiple constituents, including peers, executive management, and senior management;
- The ability to think outside the box / creatively to integrate problem-solving and structured thinking;
- Strong presentation skills;
- The ability to work as part of a team, in an open and collaborative environment, and stay calm under intense pressure to manage rapidly changing priorities;
- Ability to travel up to 30%-40% of the time
- At least a Bachelor's Degree OR military experience
- At least 3 years of experience in communications, journalism or Public Relations (PR) OR At least 3 years combined experience in communications, journalism, and Public Relations (PR)
- Background in technology, diversity and inclusion, and social impact communications
- Experience communicating to technology communities of practice
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe and media measurement and analysis tools.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top